hatching around 11-15-09? Lockdown Today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jasper_899, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    I need some hatch buddies ^.^
    My last hatch didn't go to well, 1/9 hatched. But My incubator temp was way too high, I forced myself to buy 2 new thermometers and a friend is letting me borrow her moms hatching thermometer. I want to do this right this time.

I set
    12 White Silkie eggs and 2 b/b/s Most of them have messed up air-cells because they were shipped [​IMG]

8 Buff Orpingtons my friend said that they were refrigerated she might give me new ones, but I think its too late to add new eggs. xP

And then about 14 of my hens eggs which are from 2 GL wyandotte hens and a RIR hen and a Red Sex link hen and the rooster is an EE.
    So about 36 eggs in all.

And Im using an LG with a fan and auto turner

This is not really the best time to hatch eggs in Alaska, but its for a project mainly for my Natural Resources class. My friend just hatched 3 Bob White quails <3 so tiny and cute.

Anyone else who set around this time?

Thanks [​IMG]

UPDATE: Lockdown

4 Silkies
    Pipped:0
    Hatched out:0

6 BuffX

13 of mine

All alive and moving around.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I have a set of 9 (I think) Mille Fleur Cochin eggs due on the 14th. Is that close enough?

3. Jasper_899

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    Quote:Yup defiantly close enough [​IMG]

Well I candled today and 8 of the silkie eggs had blood rings or really loose and bubbly air cells. I threw those out. All of my chickens eggs look great 100% fertility from my EE roo and 2 of the orpington eggs look like they were not fertile. Which sounds about right my friend said they only had 4 roos and over 100 hens. And the eggs were refrigerated for a week too.
    As for the silkie eggs all I can blame is shipping. I'm done getting shipped eggs unless they are coming from Washington or somewhere close. I really hope those other 6 hatch those eggs were spendy.
    I am also keeping track of the air-cell for a project so I traced them with a pencil.

4. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I have 10 Cayuga X Magpie duck eggs that are supposed to hatch on the 15th - not the best time in ND to be hatching eggs either - but what the heck.
    My last hatches have not been very good either. I hope you have a great hatch!

5. Jasper_899

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    Well lock down is tomorrow I candled a few days ago and they look good, 4 silkies 6 Buffs and then about 14 of mine, I haven't counted all for sure yet though. I will tomorrow.
    Also does anyone have any tips on how to mark chicks? My dad said small colored zip ties but will those be okay?
    I'm so excited for this hatch ^.^ I found out that the thermometer that came with the LG incubator was 4 degrees off [​IMG] Thats why I killed my last hatch. Except for one lil guy that survived. Hes so big now <3 I bet he will be happy to have some company once these ones hatch out. I wont put them together though since he is huge and over a month older.
    I will also try to keep detailed notes on how they hatch for my project.

6. larryj57

larryj57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    I have about 3 dozen due on the 16th, this is my first try so wish me luck. This chicken business is an addicting hobby;)

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I am!!!

14-15th is when the little guys should pop out.

I'm so excited. It's a test bunch of eggs in a test run of the little home made incubator. I've been documenting the whole process so others can see candling pics.

8. Jasper_899

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    Quote:It is very addicting my friends think Im crazy. I would update them all everyday on how the eggs were doing [​IMG]
    Good luck I hope your first hatch goes better then my did. I was very disappointed with only one chick but I love that lil guy to death he is defiantly a mamas boy and very spoiled I guess its nice being the only child sometimes <3

Quote:Yeah I read your post. It has helped me out so much, I love the pictures and mine grew at about the same rate as yours did, but I couldn't really see through my brown eggs so I just looked for movement but with the white silkie eggs I could see everything especially on day 10. I love how they just bounce around and look like they are having a party in there [​IMG]
    That's a cool homemade bator by the way [​IMG] I didn't have any luck making one with my fish tank, I would have done better, but I needed a little fan.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I have partridge and wheaten penedesenca and barred bantam cochins due on Sunday too [​IMG] Where are you from in Alaska?

10. Jasper_899

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    Quote:Yay another one I think its officially a party [​IMG]
    I live in the Interior. Im really hating the snow right now xP The chickens seems to be scared of it too its pretty entertaining when I kick them out of the coop to clean it and they fly around just to avoid the snow. Only my RIR seems to care less about getting her feet cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by