Hatching !!!! As I type!!

jen5680

Southside Silkie Shack
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
SW Ohio
My first time hatching and one just came out!! Does it matter that he/she is bumping around in there on the other eggs that haven't hatched?

celebrate.gif
Congrats! Don't worry about the bumping around of eggs. That's gonna happen. Sit on your hands and take lots of pictures!

I keep taking pictures and they are all blurry!!
But I am gonna keep trying!!

Yea for the new chicks!!
woot.gif

As for the photos, never mind about the instructions to sit on your hands and take photos; just take photos, it's easier to focus with fingers than toes.
smile.png
(sorry, just couldn't resist!
hide.gif
)

Congrats. I also just had one come out of the shell as I was typeing another post. I have 6 new babies.

As for not worrying about the eggs getting bumped around, When I went to look at mine about an hour ago, One of the spent shell halves had gotten stuck over one of the other eggs. I picked up the stuck shell and the egg it was stuck to had zipped all the way around, but the chick couldnt get out because it was stuck inside the empty shell from a chick that had already hatched. Chicks have hatched for centuries without mans help, but in this case, I feel that if I hadnt of been there to remove the stuck empty shell half, I would have lost this chick. Not something to get overly concerned about, but something you should be aware of.

I am trying to hatch in a carton this time, to avoid exactly that problem with the shells sticking. If you think about it, they wouldn't be rolling all over under a hen, and she'd probably keep them neat and tidy and unstuck during the hatch. So it's probably a good idea to help them as necessary.

Anyway, congrats on the hatch-in-progress!! I hope to be in the same situation in about four days. Woot!

Ahhhh I feel so sorry for it! It is just crying and crying!!
Is that normal?

Well this mornig when i got up there are 4 more and then nothing else all morning long. I hope the other 40 or so hatch!!

Is it normal for them to take so long in hatching? I had one hatch late last night and then when i got up this morning there were 4 more. they were still wet so they hadn't been out of the egg long. then when i came home from work at 5 another one came out and then another one about 30 minuted later and now there has been nothing for several hours. any thoughts?
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom