1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching !!!! As I type!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jen5680, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    My first time hatching and one just came out!! Does it matter that he/she is bumping around in there on the other eggs that haven't hatched?

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Congrats! Don't worry about the bumping around of eggs. That's gonna happen. Sit on your hands and take lots of pictures!

3. jen5680

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I keep taking pictures and they are all blurry!!
    But I am gonna keep trying!!

4. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea for the new chicks!! [​IMG]
    As for the photos, never mind about the instructions to sit on your hands and take photos; just take photos, it's easier to focus with fingers than toes. [​IMG] (sorry, just couldn't resist! [​IMG] )

5. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Congrats. I also just had one come out of the shell as I was typeing another post. I have 6 new babies.

As for not worrying about the eggs getting bumped around, When I went to look at mine about an hour ago, One of the spent shell halves had gotten stuck over one of the other eggs. I picked up the stuck shell and the egg it was stuck to had zipped all the way around, but the chick couldnt get out because it was stuck inside the empty shell from a chick that had already hatched. Chicks have hatched for centuries without mans help, but in this case, I feel that if I hadnt of been there to remove the stuck empty shell half, I would have lost this chick. Not something to get overly concerned about, but something you should be aware of.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I am trying to hatch in a carton this time, to avoid exactly that problem with the shells sticking. If you think about it, they wouldn't be rolling all over under a hen, and she'd probably keep them neat and tidy and unstuck during the hatch. So it's probably a good idea to help them as necessary.

Anyway, congrats on the hatch-in-progress!! I hope to be in the same situation in about four days. Woot!

7. jen5680

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Ahhhh I feel so sorry for it! It is just crying and crying!!
    Is that normal?

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, that's normal! She's just cheering on her hatch mates. They'll be out and ready to cuddle soon!

9. jen5680

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Well this mornig when i got up there are 4 more and then nothing else all morning long. I hope the other 40 or so hatch!!

10. jen5680

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Is it normal for them to take so long in hatching? I had one hatch late last night and then when i got up this morning there were 4 more. they were still wet so they hadn't been out of the egg long. then when i came home from work at 5 another one came out and then another one about 30 minuted later and now there has been nothing for several hours. any thoughts?
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by