Hatching as we speak - EARLY

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GardenDave, Aug 17, 2013.

1. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wow I'm so excited. My chicks are not due until Monday and I only stopped turning them yesterday but I just looked in on them and two have started 'pipping' I believe the term is. I can hear their little tweets lol. I'll post pictures soon and as they progress. Just wanted to share with you all [​IMG]

2. Congrats!! I just had my hens 3 chicks hatch last evening! they are so cute! They weren't supposed to hatch till today.

3. GardenDave

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks and congrats to you too. Unfortunately one of the chicks hatched with its guts all on the outside [​IMG]so I had to do the not so nice but right thing. The others which have hatched so far are doing well though. Here are some pictures [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    so sorry about your baby! its so exciting to hatch them, mine started piping this a.m. but aren't due to hatch til tomorrow night, kinda worried!! do u have more pics of your hatchlings?

5. GardenDave

Aug 5, 2013
    Awwww yeah it is exciting. I have more eggs in which are due next week - 10 Wyandottes. I'm really looking forward to them.

As for hatchING, I don't have more pictures but I will be sure to take plenty if the other 10 get that far. I have lots of the chicks though - here they are. Not all the chicks are in the pictures though. All together we hatched ten with nine surviving. It was touch and go with the tenth though because she was VERY late and the others were already up and running around so kept pecking her feet. We had to put boots on her for the first night, then once they had slept and woke up with her there they were fine with her. We also had to put boots on another one which had deformed feet. They are not perfect now but they are much better than they were and she is walking and running around very well. So a total of ten hatching of 27 for a percentage of...............erm.............for a percentage lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just for size comparison, one of my Alsations, Sam. He loves the chick to bits - he's always waiting by the door to the room they are in so he can watch them playing lol.
    [​IMG]
    I was a little worried about the normal bulb not being warm enough so I added this Me To You Bear so they could go under it if they wanted, but also if they wanted it to be darker. They never used it other than to stand on and jump off lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one is slowly becoming my favourite. She is one of only three which still lets me pick them up. All the rest think they are too old for hugs now but this one still enjoys them.
    [​IMG]
    This is the one we had to put the boots on. This picture is taken before the boots went on - she is much better now. I'll go and get pics of the new arrivals and post them later :)

6. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    aww congrats they are sooooo cute! 8 of 10 of my eggs hatched, 1 died after piping and 1 hasn't piped yet! have fun with your babies xoxo!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by