Hatching Baby Indian Runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JustAbbey, Sep 8, 2017.

1. JustAbbey

JustAbbey Hatching

Sep 8, 2017
    Hi All, I am very new here and have wanted ducks for the longest time.

I'm buying some fertile Indian Runner Duck eggs soon to be incubated.

I have heard something about turning the eggs in the hatcher up to five times a day? Is this correct? I know chickens are twice a day so this really surprised me.
    I'm also wondering the temperature and humidity range for the process? Does this vary incredibly from chickens?

Thank you all : )

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Chickens should actually be at least three times a day, and more is always better. A study showed a broody hen turns her eggs something like 57 times a day! So more is better if you can manage it, and an odd number of times so the eggs go overnight, the longest time you will go without turning them, on the opposite side each night. The same goes for duck eggs.

Temperature is the same as for chickens, 99.5 in a forced air, 101.5 measured at the top of the eggs in a still air. Humidity really depends on your location. For me, I need to keep mine at around 30%. For you, it could be totally different. You'll want to either weigh them, which is the most accurate way to keep track of moisture loss, or monitor the air cells to make sure humidity is correct and adjust if it's not.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: