hatching Bantams

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamapeep, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mamapeep

mamapeep New Egg

Sep 18, 2008
    [​IMG] Help. I had a mix of chicken eggs and bantam eggs in my 'bator. The chickens all hatched on day 21 but none of the bantams. They candled alive on day 14 and I even saw egg movement from at least one bantam on day 20 but now nothing. I am a first timer. Did I kill them. How long should I leave them in the 'bator? This is day 22.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They are probably dead. Bantams hatch on day 20. One day earlier than standard. I would take them out and candle them for movement.

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Yeah, candling would be good...Don't count them out yet. Wait til day 24 at least. [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually I'm hatching banties now.. day 21 and they just started this morning. Four so far.

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    If you are using a still air incubator, and the eggs are alot smaller, and you were measuring the temps at the top of the large eggs, the small eggs are exposed to cooler temps throughout incubation. If the large eggs hatched right on day 21 then I would wait a few days before giving up on the bantams.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:What were your temps and hum day 1-18 ????

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:All mine have hatched between days 18 and 22. Any that have taken longer have not hatched...

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    All mine have hatched exactly on day 21 so they don't always go early. I'd wait a day and then start checking them.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Mine are always early!! Even the hens hatch early! What are you doing right lol??

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  10. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

These eggs (banties) that are hatching here take MUCH longer to hatch than quail! Mine are still hatching- and today is day 22.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by