Hatching BCM's

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CDennis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I read someplace....that BCM's are harder to hatch because of their dark colored shell. I am making my first bator hatching attempt with BCM eggs, are there any special considerations I need to make? Or is what I read....just something I read.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I hatch them all the time. Actually I am hatching them at this very minute! I do nothing at all different for them.

[​IMG]

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I think that you may be confusing it with it being harder to candle than to hatch...

Good luck!

4. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:I agree on that one!! I betcha I have tried at least 10 different flashlights- I gave up

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Hubby got a nice LED 100 lumen flashlight at Lowes during Christmas ( about $30, i think). I could see through my fresh marans eggs, although we are not incubating right now.
    My blue eggers are not laying but I really want to see if we can candle those with this flashlight.
    You do have to hunt for the lumens listing on the labels thought. They are not very * in your face*

6. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    PERFECT! Thank you.

7. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i've got 18 BCM eggs in the bator now (from 2 different breeders). one of the breeders told me they were hard to hatch cuz of their shells being thicker. is this correct? so far they are on day 14 and they are all thriving. i can at least see growth and movement in them with my hubby's hunting flash light.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I do not believe their shells are any different than any other chicken egg, other than the color. I have no problem hatching them at all, same as all others I hatch.

Good luck with your hatch!

9. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:That's what I was told also but majority rules, and it seems to be the overwhelming consensus that it is not the case. Thank goodness!

10. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well that's good to know! i'd like to get at least 2 pullets outta these 18 eggs....that doesn't seem too much to ask, but still hoping for the best. there's 2 things i gotta hope for...1. good hatching and 2. please don't let them all be roos! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by