hatching bob white

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jimmythechicken, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    at what day do you take them out off egg turners an put on wire an lock them down.an what temp an humidy to lock down at.bator is still air lg thanks jim

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I keep the humidity the same throughout hatch. You take the eggs off the turner three days prior to hatch. Temperature should be 99.5 F, same as always.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    99.5 Forced Air, 100.5 Still Air Incubation Humidity 45-55% Lockdown Humidity 55-65% Last 3 Days

If You Can Set Them Upright For Hatch And Your Hatch Resluts Will Be Better--- Either Leave Them In The Egg Cups And Either Turn The Motor Off, Or Remove The Egg Cup Rails From The Turner And Set Them In The Hatcher... Or You Can Use The Egg Flats/ Cartons If You Have Them. If They Are Set Upright For Hatching You Can Safely Raise The Humidity Up To 75% --- This Softens The Egg Shell And Allows Jr To Escape More Easily [​IMG]

Do Not, Repeat Do Not Use High Humidity Hatching Unless Eggs Are Upright--- If They Are Not Upright You Number Of Drown Chicks Will Be High!

4. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    should i set them small end up or big end up to hatch them?

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    big end up, small end down.

6. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG]
    good luck on the hatching Jimmy dont forget to take pics of the hatching fuzzy bottoms [​IMG]

7. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    ya we cant wait we are using an lg not a great bator but we are hoping for atleast 25 out of the 53 to hatch.i am going to buy some pill cups to hatch them in should work o.k.we have 53 quail due sat,9 lavender orps due sat,an 8 white orps due monday should be a busy weekend will post pics.thanks for the help jim

8. LostinQuailLand

LostinQuailLand Out Of The Brooder

I have two incubators one for egg turning and one for hatching. Both are Hova bators with the wire mesh flooring. I use the first one to incubate my bobwhite quail eggs and the other to hatch. I have yet to figure out how to stand the eggs in the hatcher upright. I usually lay them down is there a trick?

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:QUAIL EGG FLATS OR SHIPPING CARTONS, OR USE THE EGG TRAYS FROM A TURNER, JUST REMOVE THE TO YOUR HATCHER AND SET THEM DIRECTLY IN SIDE FLAT SO THE EGGS ARE UPRIGHT.

I TOO USE A SEPERATE BATOR AS A HATCHER.

FOR FOLKS WHO USE ONLY 1 BATOR AND AN AUTOTURNER YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO REMOVE THE TURNER, JUST TIME IT TO WHEN THE EGGS ARE UPRIGHT AND UNPLUG THE TURNER. [​IMG]

10. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Well I take my trays off the turner.

But for people that are using pill cups or egg cartons.
    Do they need to cut the bottoms out of the cups or egg cartons for the hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by