1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching buddies?? Hatchday July 8th!! ** Pics added pg 2 **

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rocky Road, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have 28 light sussex eggs going into lockdown tomorrow and it is my first time! Wondering if anyone else has eggs due this week to share the excitement!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    i have 2 ancona duck eggs in lockdown right now (down from 9, yikes!) they are wiggling in their eggs but no pips yet. i need to stop hovering over the bator & worrying myself sick. [​IMG]
    i don't think i am cut out for this incubation stuff (my 1st time). my eggs were shipped from a friend, but i also had some chicken eggs from a local person & ZERO of them hatched. my temp & humidity have all been holding well, so i wonder if the chicken eggs were infertile (or the bumpy ride home was too much for them).

3. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Was there any kind of development or completely nothing?

Good luck on your ducks!!

4. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    4 pekin eggs and 1 buff sussex
    can't wait

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I have 21 Polish Frizzle eggs due to hatch on the 7th. Well, they're not actually mine. I'm hatching them for someone else but I can keep a couple if I choose. I'm addicted to the hatching process but do not want to hatch irresponsibly, so I place an ad locally to offer "free" hatching with the option to keep one or two of the babies. Lockdown starts tomorrow night. Gotta keep the humidity up and my hands off outta the bator. When I candled a couple nights ago, all remaining 21 had life. Last hatch was my batch of 23 Polish Frizzle. There was 4 non-fertile and the remaining 19 all hatched. I had never had a 100% hatch before. The folks I'm hatching for are so excited! I, myself will be a hovercraft over the bator windows for the next 3 days.

6. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Quote:Wow that is awesome! I hope that's the case for me!

7. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    [Was there any kind of development or completely nothing?

Good luck on your ducks!!]

i only found 2 at candling that looked like they were developing. the eggs were absolutely filthy when i picked them up (as was the farm. i was glad that my significant other didn't come with me. it was quite poorly managed - to my uneducated eyes - and i think he would have instantly changed his tune about adding ducks to our property had he seen theirs. our property is quite large with lots of room for free ranging & both my coops & runs will be on wheels so i can move them frequently. i also am building frames for my ducky pools to put on wheels & put over my gardens so they can splash to their heart's content & fertilize my garden as well.

we had 2 power outages during incubation which i figure played a huge part in my low numbers. my neighbor has pulled a generator over for me to use if we lose power again. thank goodness.

i'm hoping to add 2 Indian Runners to my flock but am torn about whether to order just what i want & pay the small order fee or order a batch & take most to one of our local poultry swaps.

tmi, i know. its early & folks here at home are sick of my fowl ocd.

8. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Well 28 out of my 31 light Sussex eggs made it to lockdown today. Two were not fertile and 1 was a day 7 or so quitter. Now the excitement begins . . . hopefully!

9. 9gerianMile

9gerianMile Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Western MT
    I have 14 BCM eggs going into lockdown tonight. This is my first time incubating, so I don't know if any will hatch- they're super hard to candle with the dark shells!

10. cpuking

cpuking Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Just put 12 eggs in lockdown, Second time hatching using this hovabator, did have one spike of 104 randomly so ive been running it around 99-100, instead of 101 like i wanted for the still air!

Candled the eggs seen movement in most, got my fingers crossed, added some water, as I didnt have any in the troff's before, it would be between 30-40%. Upping it to around 65-70 %

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by