Hatching Buddies? (Week of October 3rd hatch) And the answer is...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Today is close enough to day 7 and I candled my eggs. To my delight and surprise, at least 5 of the 9 eggs I received in the mail show development. I was pretty amazed I could see anything, but I saw enough to be sure that I have developing chicks! Which is very exciting because this is a better ratio than my first two hatches. The other 4 I am not sure about and couldn't tell what I was looking at, so rather than pitch out viable eggs, I put them back in. Since I'm hand turning, I'll check on the ones I'm not sure about tomorrow and see if they develop. If not... [​IMG]

I'm pretty excited over the prospect of hatching turkey eggs too. That will be a lot of fun. I'll also try hatching more of the FBCM. Very, very cool!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. t0m

t0m Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    My Coop
    Congratulations! Fingers crossed for your brood. We are hatching buddies. I am also at day 7 and I candled last night.

It's my first time so I didn't quite know what to look for. But most of the eggs just looked clear, and there were detached air sacs in about half of them [​IMG]. I can't say I'm too surprised because they were shipped and spent 5 days in transit. There were shade of light and dark in 1 of the 12 eggs, which could be promising, but the shell of that egg is quite a dark brown so it was a bit indistinct. I guess I'll leave all the eggs in there and candle again later in the week to see if there are signs of life.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:[​IMG]

What kind of eggs are you incubating? My first eggs were marans and Blue Orps and the marans were impossible to candle. I had a 3 out of 9 hatch and a 1 out of 5 hatch due to a variety of factors, including postal service and my first attempts at hatching.[​IMG] I couldn't see a thing and could only wait. I kept all my eggs in the incubator until day 25 and threw them out then. At that point, the egg "felt" dead. The texture of the shell was dry and chalky and even brittle.

Right now, I'm working on BBS orps and easter eggers and I'm hoping for more than one orp and am actually looking for a nice roo EE. I'm supposed to get a replacement in the mail for a couple of eggs smashed by snail mail and some turkey eggs, which should be fun.

Here's hoping your eggs develop! [​IMG] Let's keep this thread open and chat.

4. t0m

t0m Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Narberth, PA
    My Coop
    Thanks for your good wishes. Here's hoping on some orp EE and turkey chicks for you! [​IMG]

The eggs are light Sussex and 11 of the 12 are pretty pale. Several had a sort of granular, porous look under candling which made it hard to see much except the air sac. Does the waiting get any easier after the first few hatches?! I might not be able to resist candling again tomorrow.

If I have any luck through to lockdown I'll set up a webcam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by