Hatching Button quail Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GuineaFowling, Jan 19, 2014.

1. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    Hello,

I have a pair of button quails who layed quite a few eggs. I am sure the eggs are fertile since the quails are a couple and i would like to hatch them using my still-air incubator. I have done some research and some people say for a still air incubator they turned the heat to 99.4-100 degrees Fahrenheit. I also read that some people hatched their eggs in 16-18 days whereas others took 21-25 days. what is the correct temperature to set the incubator, the amount of days they hatch (I know youre supposed to stop turning on day 14), and what should be the humidity level? This is my first time hatching ith an incubator normally i let nature do the work. I would also like to say that my buton girl has sat on the eggs for 2 hours for about 4 days and then stopped. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I had a really hard time hatching button quail at first. I was using 55% humidity, then 45% humidity, I found that 25-35% (lockdown at 55%) humidity works best for them. That also depends on your climate too. They hatch in 16 days, Ive had a few hatch on the 17th day, but thats very few & far between... none later than that. I keep the temp at 99.5 and it works pretty good. Ive heard its really hard to get a button quail to go broody.
    good luck with your hatch

3. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    We are looking at hatching some for the first time next month.

I found this link in BYC, that lists the incubation times for other fowl. From what I see, there are different number of days according to the type of quail. Here is the link...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubation

It also list recommended temp and humidity for each type of quail.

4. GuineaFowling

GuineaFowling Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    Central California
    JDchicks, would you please tell me how many chicks you hatch out of how many eggs you place. Thank you.

5. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Will do...they are due on Valentine's weekend. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. mustangluvrjen

mustangluvrjen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    South Cakilaki
    I too have button quail in the bator. Mine however have just been in for 24hrs. I already cracked two with my klutzability. So I rigged up a diy turner since I didn't have one and this way I won't handle them until I candle(gasps) them.

Sending good hatching waves your way JDchicks. This is my first batch of quail so this is a learning experience for me since they are soo tiny.

7. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Need to make a correction, we have coturnix quail. They however, have the same set to hatch timeline.

Mine didn't start until Saturday, and they are still pipping today. 15 out of 20 have already hatched. 3 have pipped, the other two I can't tell cause the babies keep rolling them around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by