Hatching cage free eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alexthechicken, Jan 21, 2013.

1. alexthechicken

alexthechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Hey chicken lovers!

Has anyone successfully hatched chicks out of cage free eggs such as Land o Lakes cage free eggs? Or other brands?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    There would be no way store bought eggs would hatch. First off the big name egg companies don't have any male chickens. Even if they did between the ride to the store and being refrigerator they would not have a chance. Plus most eggs in the cartons aren't large end up which would damage the air bubble in the egg. They also get washed which isn't good for hatching eggs. There are other reasons but those are just a few. Simply putting it it's not going to happen.

3. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a search for trader joes. Tons of people have hatched their brand of store bought eggs.

4. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have read posts where folks got fertile eggs from whole foods and have had successful hatch rates. One post said from the white eggs you get mostly white leghorns, while the brown eggs produce random breeds of brown egg layers. I have not found anything recent though, mostly around 2009. I would like to know if anyone has done this recently and if so what is/was the hatch rate. As well as what bird hatched. Many of the threads mentioned trader Joe's eggs as well.

I have a niece that works at a local whole foods. Next time I see her I will ask if they carry fertile eggs, if they do I am going to get a dozen and try it! What do you really have to loose, a tad of time and a few bucks,,,

Good luck to all!!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have hatched Trader Joe's fertile eggs and got lovely white leghorns - still in my flock.

Other folks on BYC have hatched TJ's eggs as recently as this month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by