1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Call duck eggs...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StevenW., Jan 12, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Is there any secrets to hatching them since they are hard to hatch??

What do you use for humidity and whats the best hygrometer??

Thanks [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Hi ducklover. [​IMG]
    They are hard little devils to hatch, but totally worth it!
    I actually have 2 hygrometers I use when I'm hatching my ducks. One I got from a cigar store(the kind they use in humidors) and one I got from Lowe's.
    There is a member on here that is a Call duck hatching machine! Hope she weighs in on your post because she is going to be helping me hatch mine(if I don't drive her too nuts the first few days of incubation).
    I will tell you that I will not use an automatic turner for my Calls-hand turn only. Strangely enough, I had a better hatch rate when, instead of "rolling" the eggs, I turn them big end over small end when turning them.
    Good luck with your hatch!

3. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Hi [​IMG]

I would turn them by myself but I have school and cant and I have a turner for it [​IMG]
    I would if I could [​IMG]

And I hope someone comes along and maybe we could get this as a sticky if possible [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Noone else can help me? [​IMG]

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have hatched out several in my browers top hatch. No extra testers at all. Turned them by hand a couple times a day. Used wet sponges the last few days. I always mark the date I set them on the larger end with a pencil. When due to hatch I hold egg to ear and listen. When it is past due date and they are not advancing I help them...
    If they are having problems pipping I do chip off enough shell so they can get air. If they are not able to get out of shell I have even assisted them. Sometimes just freeing their head and letting them rest and they can then get free of egg. DO NOT peel shell or membrane if it seeps any blood! Wait a few hours and try again...

Don't know if it is because of their tiny rounded bill that they have trouble pipping or not?

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Yeah I always wondered about the little bill equated to a little egg tooth myself. Ducklover,if you can I would use a chicken to incubate them if you can. Even then you might have to help one or two out past due date like lil chick said. If you cant hand turn them at least keep your humidity high like 60-70% And if you dont have a hydrometer keep your pan always full of water then add wet rags or sponges the last few days

7. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Thats very helpful [​IMG]

And I think thats why is because they are so small [​IMG]

8. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Anyone else? please I need all the info I can get

9. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    bumping this for you [​IMG]

I am keep a close eye on this thread

10. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    We use a redwood for most of our call duck eggs and turn them by hand. We are going to get some broodys going this year and put our best eggs under them. The chickens do a great job getting the to lockdown time and we bring them in right before they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by