Hatching call duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by momof3, Apr 29, 2008.

1. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    I'm not sure if this will get more attention here or if it should be in the hatching part.

Anyway I really stink at hatching call duck eggs. They develop but don't hatch out. I have the humidity as high as I can get it but that hasn't helped. I can hatch chicks out of the same incubator. Right now I have put in more call duck eggs and lots of our other duck eggs. Does anyone else have a problem hatchingh their call duck eggs? Any advice?
    Thanks.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I breed gray call ducks. The best way to hatch call ducks is under the mother, or a broody hen (silkies work best). Last year my gray call hen hatched 5 out of 6 eggs. The egg that didnt hatch was laid after she started sitting and was not fertile. Right now I have 4 gray eggs under a silkie.

Call Ducks are the hardest duck to hatch because when something is pushed to such and extreme of being so small they are harder to hatch.

3. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I have 6 grey call duck eggs in the bator and tomarrow is day 22. This is my first time at trying. We'll see how it goes. I wanted to give it a try. I also have one hen setting on a nest of 7 and one just starting to make a nest. I will be getting 4 butterscotch ducklings in a few weeks. I can't wait for them to get here. I plan on putting them in the hatcher on saturday night. I was also told to up the humidity to 80 when i see external pips. I'm trying to decide if i should up it when i put them in the hatcher or when i see the first pip. I will let you know how it goes.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that the best way to hatch them is under the mother. I tried a couple of times to hatch them with basically no success. After that I let the mamas do it and they always have great hatches. I take the ducklings away and raise them when they hatch.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  5. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    Thanks everyone. I have left her eggs with her but she showed no interest in sitting on them. I guess I'll just wait for one of my bantams to go broody and tuck them under her. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by