Hatching & Candling.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenrun223, Jan 30, 2009.

1. chickenrun223

chickenrun223 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    My father owns a farm and has some chickens on it. His chickens started laying eggs about a month ago. There is only one rooster in the pen. We recently started incubating eggs and have a good temperature and humidity on the bator.

However, we weren't really sure about the hatching period. According to many sites, the hatching period for chicken is 21 days. My father acctually left the eggs in open air for about 5 days before putting them in the bator.
    We were wondering, would it be 21 days from the day the egg was laid? Or 21 days from the day the eggs were put in the bator?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on building a strong candler? We're using dark eggs, so it's hard to see. Thanks alot. [​IMG]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    21 days from the time their put in the bator. If you put them in today then tomorrow would be day 1 [​IMG]

3. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Its 21 days from the time you put them in the bator....depending on how well you keep the temp regulated I've had them start hatching as early as day 18 and 19.

4. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Thank for the super fast reply. [​IMG] Solved my main problems.

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I must warn you! You will be addicted after you first hatch!!! ha ha [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  6. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

This is what our candler looks like. It is like 8" X 8" square. There is a small hole the size of the small end of the egg in the top and a lamp base with a floodlight for the bulb in side. I have not tried to find a more powerful light source that does not get so hot. It gets hot so you cannot leave it plugged in for long. You also cannot leave the egg on top or you will cook it from the heat. but it does work for dark eggs.

[​IMG]

7. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Thanks alot. Will try to make one following your description. [​IMG] I just pray i dont forget my eggs are sitting there. [​IMG]

8. Fudgie

well what I do is turn it on and then check and remove, the big thing is TURN OFF the floodlight or you will burn down the house, it gets HOT HOT HOT with a flood light in there.

9. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    haha. I'll be sure to remember that. [​IMG] How strong a floodlight do you all suggest?

10. Fudgie

I think mine is a 125 but I think if you made the candler taller it might not get as hot and still shine loads of light. Light is what you need to see through not necessarily the heat. I only had 75 watt bulbs so the flood light was WAY better to see through the eggs. Might talk to the hardware guys regarding that! [​IMG] and let me know what they say! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by