Hatching chick 911?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nestled Chickens, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Nestled Chickens

Nestled Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this pic will load...I have a chick that looks like the egg was broken by compression from the outside...not a chick trying to get out. Should we help excavate it?

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    It looks like the membrane might be sticking to her, in which case she'll probably need some help. I would start by just pulling back some shell around the head and see if the membrane is sticking to her feathers. If so, carefully peel just a little at a time. If you see blood, stop and give it a rest. If you get all the way down to the bottom half of the egg, just wrap her and the egg in a warm wet paper towel and give her a chance to do the rest herself. That's an abbreviated run-down of what you might want to do.

3. Nestled Chickens

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Also, its eyes are still shut and it doesn't "peep" like the chicks do while they are still in the shell. Is this chick too young to hatch?

4. Nestled Chickens

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Quote:Thank you! We have it on some damp shavings with a damp rag over the top of the tupperware to keep it moist inside. We are trying to keep the temp at 99ish...

5. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Is it breathing?

6. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I've had a egg crushed like that before by a broody hen, try slowing removing the membrane, if you see veins or any bleeding, stop and wait the chick isn't ready yet. Best of luck.

7. Nestled Chickens

Mar 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    [​IMG]

He/She survived! [​IMG]

My husband kept an eye on it and decided to help it out a bit. But just enough so that he/she could push the rest of the way out itself. We thought it may have been about a day early, but we are so happy it lived.

8. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i know what was wrong with it , it was to big for its shell it had outgrown its own shell and then struggled to get out this happend to me too [​IMG]

9. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:i think thats what happend to mine

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Congratulations! That's a great feeling! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by