hatching chick eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CRYSTALCREEKFARM, Apr 26, 2009.

1. CRYSTALCREEKFARM

CRYSTALCREEKFARM New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    Montrose
    My chick eggs started to peep one started at 2:20 in the morning and it is now 1:47 p.m. Im concerned that something may be wrong, I thought they would be out by now.also one looks like it is upside down is this ok?

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Some of mine in my first hatch took up to 24 hours from pip to zip

Is the one that looks to be pipping in the small end sitting in an egg carton or is it lying on its side? (is this what you mean by upside down? pictures really help)
    If it is lying on it's side and the chick has started to pip it should be ok.

If you have to move it to be on it's side, you might want to wait for someone more experienced to chime in with advice.

If it was me, I would take that egg out of a carton and lie it on it's side to give the chick a chance to hatch from the small end. If it is just that you had it upside down in the carton and the chick has oriented itself up but that is the small end.....

My only concern is where is the aircell
    but if the chick has pipped it can breath from air outside the shell
    Hope that makes sense
    At least this will give you a bump and keep you on the top.
    good luck

3. CRYSTALCREEKFARM

CRYSTALCREEKFARM New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    Montrose
    its ok then it is lying on its side,and it pipped a hole in the side with its lil beak sticking out so yes its getting air.is it better for them laying on their sides when hatching, or small ind down in a egg carton inside the incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by