1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching chick need help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenzarr, Mar 29, 2016.

1. chickenzarr

chickenzarr New Egg

Sep 10, 2014
    I have 8 eggs under my Cochin and noticed this one was cracked early this afternoon. It's day 19 for this one. It wasn't the typical pip with a hole. More like she just pushed up a spot. I checked an hour ago and the shell was off, the outer membrane dry and separated from the inner, which was stuck to the chick. It clearly has blood vessels. I wet the inner membrane and stuck it under the hen. And suggestions on further aid?[​IMG]

2. chickenzarr

chickenzarr New Egg

Sep 10, 2014
    I went to wet the inner membrane and the blood seems to be slowly drying up. Also, the chick is making chirping motions but isn't making any actual noise. I haven't heard it cheep once! It's head is going up and down and seems to be trying to get out.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If the veining is shut down, I'd go ahead and help it out and give it back to momma and see if she accepts it.

4. chickenzarr

chickenzarr New Egg

Sep 10, 2014
    I wet it again and cut a tiny bit back. Her eye is open now. I rolled the inner m back a bit but got a teeny teeny bit of blood so I put her back. However now the other side of the egg is crushed in. I'm wondering if mom is stepping on it accidentally. Mom keeps getting up to show the first two chicks food and water.

5. chickenzarr

chickenzarr New Egg

Sep 10, 2014
    It makes me wonder what's going on cause yesterday I had to cut the outer membrane off a chick that had shell only on its back and head. The test was gone but she was wrapped in the om. ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by