hatching chick not breathing right!! help please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by itsjessme, May 15, 2011.

1. itsjessme

itsjessme Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Bealeton, VA
    I have an egg that i decided to help......all others had hatched over 24 hours ago and 2 others had shrink wrapped and died. I asumed the same for this one but when i candled it to be sure there was a small amount of movement. Worried that something was not right due to the lateness and the others dying i decided to intervene. I opened the egg up a little bit a discoved he had started to shrink wrap. I managed to free his beak and clear the membrane from around his nostrils.....he began moving around . I wet all of the membrane i could see and placed him back in the bator...this was over 2 hours ago...i have been keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't dry out......my concern is that he appers to be breathing through his mouth. I checked his notrils and they appear to be clear and i don't want to open the egg up any more because there is still a lot of veins. I only open it enough to clear his beak and nostrils. Is there anything else i can do for this little guy? This is my first hatch and i have read every thing i could on here and only intervened after i was sure he wasn't gointo make it if i didn't and now i feel so helpless. And advice would be nice.

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Sorry, don't know what to tell you. [​IMG] I would just keep up with what you're doing and hope for the best. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. itsjessme

May 7, 2011
    Bealeton, VA
    Thanks.......he stopped breathing last night a little after i posted though. It just wasn't meant to be. I happy for the three healthy one i got though!

4. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Oh well, I guess that's just the way it is. Happy to hear about your other healthy ones! [​IMG] I have a broody BO hen sitting on 3 silver ameraucana eggs, 2 RIR/broiler crosses, and one OEGB egg. It's day 11 and I've got my fingers crossed! Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG] Oh, and have you ever tried a cross like that? Just wondering.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. itsjessme

May 7, 2011
    Bealeton, VA
    Zaxby's2 :

Oh well, I guess that's just the way it is. Happy to hear about your other healthy ones! [​IMG] I have a broody BO hen sitting on 3 silver ameraucana eggs, 2 RIR/broiler crosses, and one OEGB egg. It's day 11 and I've got my fingers crossed! Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG] Oh, and have you ever tried a cross like that? Just wondering.

Good luck with your chickens!! These are my very first chickens and my first hatch so i haven't tried any other mixes.....mine are langshan x red stars.....i love mutts you will have to make sure to post some pics when they get here.​

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry you lost the chick. Unfotunately, sometimes the reason they don't hatch is because they do have something wrong with them and are weak. You gave him the best chance you could. Enjoy your new babies! [​IMG]

7. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:Good luck with your chickens!! These are my very first chickens and my first hatch so i haven't tried any other mixes.....mine are langshan x red stars.....i love mutts you will have to make sure to post some pics when they get here.

Thanks! This is my first hatch too! Can't wait to have little chicks running around with the rest of my chickens!

8. itsjessme

May 7, 2011
    Bealeton, VA
    Quote:Yeah that is how im looking at it....he had problems breathing from the start so i didn't think he was meant to be. I did everything i could and im grateful for the ones that did make it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by