hatching chick panting in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HarrietB, Jul 15, 2013.

1. HarrietB

HarrietB In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    my egg pipped a nose through at 9 this morning. its now nearly midnight and still only got a nose through. chick is still moving but appears to be panting and moving its tongue allot. no idea if this is normal, any help would be grand im getting a little anxious because the only progress that has been made all day is a little hole that the beak is peeking out of

2. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chirping

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    what kid of egg is it? chicken, duck, goose?
    Depending on what it is, it can take up to 36 hours till it zips.
    I just had 2 ducks pip & sit for over a day before they started zipping. It takes alot of self control to not help :)but its best not to..

3. chick-a-bee

chick-a-bee In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    This sounds a lot like what I went through yesterday. I think try really hard not to open the incubator. What day are you on? Have you opened the incubator during the last three days? From what I have read, this is her resting time and it may take her a while to unzip the egg. Good luck and keep us posted!

4. HarrietB

HarrietB In the Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    it was a little dutch bantam egg. in the end I left her too it. But got up on the hour every hour to check on her progress. by 3 am she had hatched and was no longer panting! phew!!

5. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chirping

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    yay! congrats!!

6. chick-a-bee

chick-a-bee In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    So glad!

7. Boiled Octopus

Boiled Octopus In the Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Wiltshire, UK
    Super news! I've got 7 Dutch bantams eggs in the process of hatching at the moment. Lots of little chirps.

Dutchies are my favourites closely follwed by Sebrights :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: