hatching chick panting in egg

HarrietB

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 3, 2012
my egg pipped a nose through at 9 this morning. its now nearly midnight and still only got a nose through. chick is still moving but appears to be panting and moving its tongue allot. no idea if this is normal, any help would be grand im getting a little anxious because the only progress that has been made all day is a little hole that the beak is peeking out of

what kid of egg is it? chicken, duck, goose?
Depending on what it is, it can take up to 36 hours till it zips.
I just had 2 ducks pip & sit for over a day before they started zipping. It takes alot of self control to not help :)but its best not to..

This sounds a lot like what I went through yesterday. I think try really hard not to open the incubator. What day are you on? Have you opened the incubator during the last three days? From what I have read, this is her resting time and it may take her a while to unzip the egg. Good luck and keep us posted!

it was a little dutch bantam egg. in the end I left her too it. But got up on the hour every hour to check on her progress. by 3 am she had hatched and was no longer panting! phew!!

my egg pipped a nose through at 9 this morning. its now nearly midnight and still only got a nose through. chick is still moving but appears to be panting and moving its tongue allot. no idea if this is normal, any help would be grand im getting a little anxious because the only progress that has been made all day is a little hole that the beak is peeking out of
I know this is an old thread but wanted you to know that it really helped me (first time Hatcher) I have one wrapped assisted chick that I had to open the brooder for so I was very concerned about “panting” maybe they are just getting the energy

Back
Top Bottom