Hatching chick pooped in shell ???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4hchknmama, Feb 16, 2009.

1. 4hchknmama

4hchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    One of my little hatchlings pooped in the shell and seems to be a bit stuck. I am trying not to interfere, but, is this something that I should be addressing, or, should I let him/her just go ahead and keep working through it. He has just hatched out within the last hour.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Very doubtful that it is poo, might be the yolk sac not fully absorbed yet and it has stuck to the shell. I would keep an eye on it but not try pulling.

The chick is out but dragging shell around?

3. 4hchknmama

4hchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    Yeah, I went to feed my horse and came back and he finally got completely out of the shell, now he is dragging a little "string" (looks like membrane leftover??) around behind him and the other chicks keep picking at it. Should I get it into the brooder so they wont pick at it? He isnt fluffed up yet, so, I would hate for him to get chilled.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If the others are fluffed out and not wet I would take them out and leave him to fluff and the string should dry up and fall off on it's own. Becareful if you have others pips tho it can ruin the hatch by opening the bator too much or at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by