Hatching Chick Requirements in Texas

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Lopedg8384, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Lopedg8384

Lopedg8384 New Egg

Apr 15, 2015
    Mission, Texas
    Hello I'm from Texas, and was wondering if Texas has a limit on how many chicks you can hatch from your house? I get my hatching eggs from NPIP certified farms. Would I still have to be certified in any way for me to sell and hatch chicks if they come from farms that provide the hatching eggs, and are regularly checked by the state, and are NPIP certified?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Don't ask don't tell.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    As far as I know you don't need anything to sell chicks from your home. Texas requires NPIP to sell at farmers markets, poultry shows, etc.

Ask the egg supplier for paperwork. When NPIP you have a form you fill out at time of sale and provide the buyer with a copy. This may not apply to eggs but if you ask your egg supplier they'd surely write one up for you and mail it. All it is is their name and NPIP number, date of sale and what was sold, band number of birds sold if older birds. Chicks are not tested for NPIP and considered pullorium free as they came from an NPIP flock. They are tested as adolescents at time of next scheduled NPIP test or prior to poultry shows.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by