Hatching Chicks and Ducklings together?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by topeka, Jan 10, 2010.

1. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Hello,

I am thinking of placing 5 cross breed hen eggs and 5 Welsh Harlequin duck eggs in the incubator at the same time. Is this going to come back and bite me?

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Everyone will have their own opinion on this, but I have hatched them together without issues....Just remember duck eggs take 28 days...

3. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Yeah, if you do, you may want to put the chick eggs in a week after the duck eggs so they'll hatch at the same time. Humidity could be an issue if set them at the same time. Otherwise I don't see any problem with it.

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I've done it, but I wouldn't recommend it! What I did was set the duck eggs to one side and mist them with warm water in the incubator twice a day, where I wouldn't get the spray on the chicken eggs.

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I did it. I only had 1 duck egg in with the chickens. He hatched a week later of course. I didn't mist it though [​IMG]

6. topeka

topeka Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    farmin'chick :

I've done it, but I wouldn't recommend it! What I did was set the duck eggs to one side and mist them with warm water in the incubator twice a day, where I wouldn't get the spray on the chicken eggs.

Why would you not recommend it? Just the hastle of having to mist the eggs?​

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i've done this many times before. its totally up to you [​IMG]

8. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

it's okay, consider that duck egg take longer and need high humidity.

it's easier with hen to sit them since no humidity thing to think on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by