Hatching chicks emergency help!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gypsie1234, Aug 4, 2014.

1. gypsie1234

gypsie1234 New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    I have a few eggs that I put under a broody hen and all was going well until today when she stepped on one and it busted. Luckily that one was infertile. But after that she has not been sitting on them. Is it still possible for them to hatch? They only have about 4 days until they hatch and it was about 80 degrees today outside but they went most of the day without her sitting on them. Anything will help!!!

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Before you go through too much trouble I would candle them to see if they are still alive first. Do you have an incubator that you could put them in? If not you might try putting her in a cage with them and see if she will continue to sit. It's a long shot, but it's a chance.

3. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hatched eggs brought to me up to a week after the hen refused to continue sitting on them. Out of 12 eggs from one of their hens, 8 hatched. Out of 18 Guinea eggs from a nest they tried to move I hatched out 4. The eggs were brought to me almost a week later but the outside temp was about 90 during the day, and in the mid 70's at night. You never know,

4. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    That is awesome! Better advice than I had LOL. I have been lucky thus far and had great broodys

Good luck OP! [​IMG]

5. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Just Curious, did your eggs hatch for you?

6. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Yes! Inquiring minds want to know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by