Hatching chicks in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smanwaring, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Smanwaring

Smanwaring In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2017
    Hello everyone! I am wonderin if my eggs have a chance of hatching since there was no water put into the incubator at the start. The eggs are due to hatch this Friday or Saturday. This is the first time I have every tried to hatch eggs in a incubator, I followed the instructions on the manufacturer website and there was no where in the instructions that said anything about water and the humidity, they only mentioned the temperature. I didn't have a temperature/humidity gage, it just came in the mail and so I set it up and it said the humidity was 30% I did some reading and added water and now the humidity is at 80%. What are the chances any of my eggs will hatch?
    Thank you!

2. blackdust951

blackdust951 Ostrich egg

Jul 24, 2017
    NSW Australia
    My Coop
    hi and welcome to backyard chickens! how long have they been in the incubator for? the humidity should be at around 45-50% the first eighteen days then increase to 65-75% i hope this was helpful look at the article section for more information they might still hatch maybe you could try lowering the humidity to 65%?I hope this works

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. Ducklingmum

Ducklingmum Chirping

Jul 11, 2017
    Hello..
    Have you candled the eggs to check the development of the chick?

Also if your incubator has an auto turner they need to be off that now.

Good luck with them though. It's rewarding when it works out.

4. Smanwaring

Aug 10, 2017
    I have candle 3 eggs and they look like there are chicks in the eggs. Figures crossed even one hatches! I will Deffently know better for the next hatch!

blackdust951 likes this.
  5. Smanwaring

Aug 10, 2017
    They do have a auto Turner, I have removed them from it :)

6. blackdust951

blackdust951 Ostrich egg

Jul 24, 2017
    NSW Australia
    My Coop
    hopefully they they hatch:) what type of incubator do you have?i have a janoel 12 that i haven't used yet but i want to

7. Smanwaring

Aug 10, 2017
    I got a little second hand Little Giant incubator :)

blackdust951 likes this.
  8. Miss717

Miss717 Songster

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    If they are due to hatch tomorrow or the next day I don't think 80% humidity is too high especially if the humidity has only been 30% up until today but maybe @Pyxis will see this and respond.

Pyxis likes this.
  9. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Actually, this sounds fine. 30% is what I keep mine at for the first 18 days, and if the humidity stays at that point without me adding water, then I don't add water. Any higher than that and it my area my embryos would drown. How do the air cells look? Did they develop well?

80% might be a touch high. Personally I'd drop that to around 65 or 70% if you can. Higher can make it harder for the chicks to dry off after hatching and isn't really necessary.

AlleysChicks likes this.
  10. Pat Mcaffee

Pat Mcaffee Chirping

Jul 23, 2017
    30% really sounds fine. They might hatch a day late but otherwise, everything should be good. I keep my incubator at 35%. Also, do not go up to 80%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: