1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatching chicks in spring

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redchicken, Jan 12, 2008.

1. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    who can't wait to hatch chicks I can't wait to see my polish's babys

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I'm being a rebel and not waiting until spring to hatch...set 23 eggs at noon yesterday. [​IMG]

Dawn

3. redchicken

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    well I am getting americana eggs at the start of feb so really I am hatching early [​IMG]

4. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:There ya go! That's what I'm talking about!!![​IMG] This makes us rebels, with a cause, right? LOL

Good luck with your Americana's. I just set 7 Silver Spangled Hamburg, 12 true Araucana (from hinkjc) and 4 of our own Silky eggs. So glad that the hubby is cool about it all, too!

Dawn

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    It's a good thing we have basements here in Michigan. Mine contains 3 wheaton penedesenca's 5 weeks old, 3 blue orpingtons 2 weeks old, and 7 ameraucanas 2 weeks old. Plus I'm making more plans to hatch more babies. Isn't this insane. [​IMG]

6. redchicken

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    hey heidi do you think you can post some americana pictures? and dawn419 I am getting araucanas from hinkjc and the americanas are from her too it is good to be a rebel [​IMG]

7. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Heidi,

Oh how I envy your basement! Living in a single-wide mobile home, here so I have to get creative when it comes time to make more room for brooder boxes. I've been slowly taking over the Jungle Room for the chickens.

[​IMG]

redchicken,

I think it's hilarous...this time, last year, I was getting my order for day-old chicks together. All the while, happily reciting how I'd never raise chicks indoors, over the winter. Boy, that didn't last long![​IMG]

Dawn

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I plan to be done hatching by spring. I plan to set a batch next week, and then Welsummers when my name comes up on mothergooses list. Once the warm weather is here I just don't have time for it. I like hatching in the winter, it creates some issues with space, but then they will lay before winter. I just have to get DH to make my new nursery in the barn so the babies in the basement can go out there before anyone else hatches [​IMG]

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have marans eggs coming in late Feb, but I may set up and hatch a batch before then, especially since I got 2 marans eggs today. They will be pure for sure around the 24 th of Jan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by