Hatching chicks in the classroom--day 18 is over the long weekend.

seberger22

Chirping
May 25, 2017
This is my first time ever hatching chicks, and I'm doing it in my kindergarten classroom! We put our eggs in on May 11 around 10:00am. Everyone seems to agree that on day 18, the egg turner should be removed and the incubator should not be opened again until chicks hatch.
Unfortunately, day 18 falls on this Monday, Memorial Day..so we don't have school and I don't have a way to get into the building.
What should I do? Should I take the egg turner out in the morning on Tuesday the 30th as soon as I get to school (around 7:30)? I will need to increase the humidity as well, so I will have to open it anyway.
Also, my humidity has been dropping each night...is there any way to keep it more stable without adding more water those last few days?
Thanks!

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

If you set them on the 11th, Memorial Day will be day 19? This weekend you will need to go into Lock Down, (take out the egg turners and get your humidity up to 65% or so.) Once they start pipping, you should not open the lid on the incubator so as to not dry out the ones that are breathing outside air. Day 19 is usually hatch day, but it is not set in stone, chicks can hatch a day or even several days later. So if you can get into the school on Saturday, go into Lock Down and get back into the school first thing Tuesday Morning.

However definitely post in the section that CTKen has linked you too. Good luck with your hatch and welcome to our roost! :)

Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend, leaving early tomorrow morning and there is also no school tomorrow. I'm not sure how to keep the temperature stable at 65% since I've been having to add water each morning to get it back to the correct percentage after dropping overnight.

Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend, leaving early tomorrow morning and there is also no school tomorrow. I'm not sure how to keep the temperature stable at 65% since I've been having to add water each morning to get it back to the correct percentage after dropping overnight.
Do any of the parents have experience with Hatching? Or willing to take the eggs home? Maybe another Teacher? Put the word out that you need help. You maybe surprised!

The principal has keys and she just said she'd be willing to come in.
I thought you count day 1 as 24 hours after setting them? So then Monday would be day 18. But am I wrong? Is it day 19?
She doesn't have experience with hatching, but I could tell her what to do. I'll also be back in town on Monday mid-morning, so I could come with her if say 18 if Monday.

If you need any help with hatching go to the hatching and incubation thread. There's alot of info and ppl available to help should any issues arise.

The principal has keys and she just said she'd be willing to come in.
I thought you count day 1 as 24 hours after setting them? So then Monday would be day 18. But am I wrong? Is it day 19?
She doesn't have experience with hatching, but I could tell her what to do. I'll also be back in town on Monday mid-morning, so I could come with her if say 18 if Monday.
My understanding is the day you set is day 0. Then 24 hours of development is day 1. I have read that if you set them on a Monday, they should hatch on a Monday. This isn't set in stone but could help you to know.

I have heard that too, but there are many times they can be a day or so early or late on hatch or take longer to hatch once they start. But, that is when you should be expecting hatch, but as most of us know, just like any "birth" they don't always come on due date..lol

Back
Top Bottom