hatching chicks in Winter?

highmountainchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
I must be insane. Got a new R-com and just HAD to put a few eggs into it. But I will be taking care of chicks in the winter. And special tips for handling chicks for cold care and survival? Talk to you guys later

I just bought my first incubator and also have cold weather babies coming. I'm sure I'll manage to keep everyone toasty warm. I've heard that once they feather out they'll be fine to join the rest in the coop. I think they'll stay in the boiler room until then. Unless hubby finds them and then we may all be staying in a rental cabin down the road! Either way, we will be warm!
smile.png

Hey brahampooter, you sound like my long lost sister. I too, will keep the little ones in our boiler room which also is my husbands workshop. so when I told him that I will need to keep some chicks down there, I think I actually saw steam coming out of his ears. Poor fellow. I will stock up on chick feed, our ranch store runs out in the winter. Take care

Live in NW Wisconsin and just placed 9 fertilized eggs (from my neighbor) under my broody hen!
lol.png

No rooster at this backyard chicken ranch yet! Hoping for one from these eggs.

I'm still hatching...
wink.png

Just keep them at the right temps and draft free then let them slowly acclimate to the cooler temps after they are all feathered out (12 weeks, maybe?)
I have them all indoors right now, and we have a heated garage, though I think I'll be pushing it if I try to brood in the garage again (Hi honey!)
tongue.png

I think the biggest thing is not to coddle them and keep them too warm. Just warm enough that they don't pile, and you should be good. Maybe include a little bit of corn in their treats when they're ready for it.
I'm sure there's more, but those are the basics.

I never gave a thought about running out of feed. My feed store is always so good about ordering whatever I need. I'll have to ask and make sure they'll be able to get it. It's Blue Seal, so I guess as long as Blue Seal has it, my Agway dealer can get it. I'm heading there tomorrow, I'll ask for sure!

I just hatched 5 chicks and have a bunch of eggs in the incubator. I'm new at this, but have an unused large bathroom and a heated garage...we don't get real cold....just real wet. This weekend I'm fixing three large doghouses...2 were free, one is my dogs....but she has slept in it twice...one prefers the porch swing, the other the lounge chair both on covered porches. I am building a fenced in area from 2 chain link dog kennels thanks craig list then reinforce bottem with rabbit fencing or chicken wire or some of each.....I already have one set up..then I have the cover for the kennel for one so when chicks are about 3 months wont drown!

About 10 years ago, I raised chickens in a small mountain valley, high in the Rockies. My coop was a little drafty, so when the temps got down below 20 degrees, I would box my birds.
wink.png
That is, I went out before bed, and put them all in a huge, refridgerator sized, cardboard box I had gotten from an appliance store. Let them out again in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom