Hatching Chicks -- THink I have a slight EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by honeydoll, Aug 11, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Alright went to check my bator this morning and I have a chick that has hatched. It's yolk is not fully dissolved and I think it has a curled leg? What should I do? I still have 12 more to hatch in there, he is still wet. Should I open? Can I save the little guy? Gosh, I don't know what to do. Also, worse than worse, my bator's humidity dropped last night to 50%. [​IMG] I am not sure what to do; this bator has me going out of my mind. This is my first hatch. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks in advance. UGh! His yoke is sticking, it's too dry. So I moistened it a wee bit. Oh someone, please help. Not sure what to do for this little guy. I have read to keep the yolk sac moist and he will eventually absorb it, but it keeps drying out. What should I make a diaper from? He is chirping constantly and moving well, and his leg has uncurled. WHat should I do?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    From what I've read on here the best thing to do is wrap him in a wet paper towel (use warm but not hot water) and leave him in the bator. That's about all you can do at this point and hope for the best. Good luck.

3. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Thanks orionburn. I have collected myself now. Usually I stay pretty matter of fact about such things, but I really don't want to lose the little guy/girl. I have had a few call duck eggs stop growing and thru them out with no problem. But for some reason seeing the little one already out alive really made me want to save him. It's funny, I have culled rabbits and chickens, processed meaties but hatching these eggs just means so much to me. I appreciate the advice. Sorry I was a bit "emotional" in my OP. I feel a bit silly now, not in my character to be that way usually. But these little chicks really stole my heart. [​IMG]

4. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Man, this little guy won't sit still, he is all over the incubator. Should I keep him immoble? I'm afraid he will tear off his yoke sac.

5. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Well, the little booger did it, he is so active he tore off his yoke sac. I think this means he pretty much is a goner huh? [​IMG] I am so bummed. Has anyone ever had a chick do this and survive? I even tried a little diaper and that is where to yoke sac is in, with him on the opposite side of the incubator. UGH! He sure is fiesty. I'm crushed. I know that the yoke sac has vital nutrients, is it a sure thing he will die? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    are you sure it's the yolk sac and not the leftover bits that are supposed to stay out and dry off? If it's your first hatch, that is an easy mistake to make.

If the leg is curled, it depends on HOW its curled. sometimes chicks can look like their legs are curled, but it may just be that they aren't strong enough (yet) to get it under them properly. Remember their muscles are not very well developed and it will take some amount of flopping and flailing until they can get their muscles under control.

Pics would help.

7. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I will try to post pics when hubby is home, about 45 min. He has our camera. Hmm.. I didn't know there was anything else attached to them. So that is a distinct possibility. His vent does look a little red/bloody. Not a bunch but just a little. And his leg did uncurl. He is walking, a little floppy but doing much better than before. How do these little critters get us so wound up if they could die? I am is so concerned about him, I feel like a big baby.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    is his belly button closed? is there any blood? Pictures would help, no he will not die from not totally absorbing the yolk sac

9. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    Sounds to me like it was the umbilical cord coming off which is normal. With all the gooey leftover stuff, sometimes it's hard to tell what's what! If he is mobile he is probably ok.

10. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    You guys are making me feel so much better. Thanks a million.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by