hatching chicks with alot of blood???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Jul 9, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I incubated 36 eggs. Yesterday they started hatching. Blood was dripping from the eggs. I helped several of the chicks out, they were sufficating in what look like a blood clot around them. The couldn't break through this thick skin. This was my 3rd brood hatching. I had no trouble with the first 2. Does anyone have any idea what might of went wrong. It was so sad. Out of 36 eggs I had 17 live. One of them are crippled. They all don't seem to be very strong or healthy. It has been a very stressful and sad experience. I stay up all night to take care of them, but I still lost some.

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Oh no, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am searching for a thread that was on here I thought about bloody chicks....BRB

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
  4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Did you turn the eggs end over end by chance during the incubation or candling process? Maybe they got tangled up. ?????? I dunno. I had some problems this hatch, but mostly just a couple bloody (rough) navels. One left blood all over inside the bator and I didn;t even know because I was dealing with one that hatched with it's foot caught in it's intestine? [​IMG]

But, I am sorry for your loss. I hope you figure out what went wrong so that it does not happen to you again. Enjoy your babies that made it!

5. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    sorry for your loss

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    what type of eggs/breed? Were they shipped or your own eggs?

One odd egg with that problem would be strange, but to have so many in one clutch with the same issue makes me think either a genetic problem, or some problem with incubation...

I'll see what I can find.

Here's an excerpt from my favorite incubation troubleshooting page:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AA204

Sign: Hemorrhage. Causes:

Red skin -- incubator or hatcher temperature too high.

Bleeding in chorioallantois -- rough handling at transfer.

Nutritional deficiencies (vitamin K or vitamin E).

Embryos that died at days 11 to 15 and appear small and dark red -- usually caused by molds or other contamination.

ALSO:

Sign: Unhealed navel, wet, odorous; mushy, large, soft-bodied, and lethargic chick. Causes:

Omphalitis (navel infection). Contamination from dirty trays, unsanitary machines or hatchery, dirty eggs, inadequate egg sanitation or fumigation.

Low incubator temperature.

High incubator or hatcher humidity.

Inadequate ventilation.

So, looks like a common theme here is potential contamination/infection in the incubator, OR vitamin K/E deficiencies, which would mean either a vitamin deficiency in the hens, OR some genetic issue that prevents proper formation or absorption of those vitamins.​

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    The type of chicks are barred rocks. I bought them from my husbands aunt. The chicks are about 2 months and doing fine. I really feel that the hens that laid the legs where not healthy. I hatched out 17 out of 20 about a week ago. They are all healthy and doing well. Not from the same hens!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by