Hatching chicks with broody hen

Waddles_0032

Hatching
Mar 24, 2019
I have a broody hen on 10 fertilized eggs in her own small coop. It is a consistent 40-60 degrees here right now. Does she need any form of heat while she's on them? What about the chicks when they hatch will they need heat besides the mother hens body heat?

No she doesn’t need anything. I have a broody who just hatched and the temps have been from 70+ to low 40s. Today it is only 48and she has the chicks out side in the run of the small coop she is in and they are fine. They run in and out from under her to warm up.

No supplemental heat is necessary in those temps. You'll be surprised at that temperature how little time they spend under the mother.
I've even had hens hatch chicks below freezing. On one occasion it got near 10F so I hung a heat lamp over the food and water so they could eat and drink in comfort. No heat was needed over the nest - the hen took care of that.

No she doesn’t need anything. I have a broody who just hatched and the temps have been from 70+ to low 40s. Today it is only 48and she has the chicks out side in the run of the small coop she is in and they are fine. They run in and out from under her to warm up.
Thank you for the reply. I was just going to post the same question. I have new chicks and evenings are cool now. I'm glad to know they will be ok with Mama.

Back
Top Bottom