Hatching Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHICKENFARMER22, Mar 28, 2017.

1. CHICKENFARMER22

CHICKENFARMER22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    It's day 23 for me and I have 3 chicks so far out of 6 egg. 2 more eggs have pipped last night. I want to take the theee chicks out and move them to the brooder because it's been 48 hours since the first chick hatched. Will it no okay to take those chicks out before the others ones hatch or will it affect their hatching? Do I have to wait to take the chicks out until the others hatch?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I move mine out as soon as they dry off. Usually about 8 hours after they hatch. Be sure to keep them warm. Good luck

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would suggest you keep it closed till they hatch unless you have the experience or info you need to know like these hands on hatchers have. Opening it without knowing what to do can be disappointing at times. Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  4. CHICKENFARMER22

Jul 15, 2013
    Okay, I'm just worried about the first chick that hatched. Will he go hungry and die? Or will he be okay? They could take a while because lately, they didn't hatch till 24 hours after the first pip. I read that the chicks can only be in there for 48 hours after hatch.

5. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Move them to the brooder. The eggs will be fine.

6. CHICKENFARMER22

Jul 15, 2013
    Okay. I'll wait till later on tonight and move them. I'll try to be quick and maintain humidity and temperature. Thanks for the help!

7. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    It will be fine I do it all the time.

8. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You will get a lot or different answers on whether to or not too. You make that call. I don't----some do. Location, how much humidity you have and lots of other factors has to be took into consideration. If you do not have all that info or experience in being a hands--on--hatcher---I will say this--Chicks can go 3 to 4 days with No Problem left in the incubator. Opening quick, might make it better, might not.

I can give you lots of names of people that will tell you that opening during the hatch will cause a bad hatch in alot of locations.

Others can give you lots of names or people that open at will and have good hatches.

I can give you lots of names of people that know how to hatch that leave it closed till the hatch is over and have great hatches.

I have No names of experienced hatchers that leave it closed till the hatch is over that had a BAD hatch.

Again your call! Good Luck!!

9. CHICKENFARMER22

Jul 15, 2013
    Thanks so much. You gave such good advice. I will leave it closed till the hatch is over. I am already at 50% hatch rate with 2 more eggs pipped. I don't want to risk losing them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by