1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Chukars...Really this Hard?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Peeper, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    I filled 2 incubators with ebay eggs and had great hatchs on everything but the chukars. Did I get a bad batch or is it really hard to hatch them?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I think their one of the easyiest to hatch besides cortunix quail

3. bowman

bowman New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    I filled 2 incubators with ebay eggs and had great hatchs on everything but the chukars. Did I get a bad batch or is it really hard to hatch them?

peeper, I see you are having the same luck as myself. I can hatch chicken and quail with no problem but the chukar will begin breaking the egg shell then dying. I run the humity @ 70% during lock down, 50-60% while in the egg turner. I recently had 80 chukar eggs in my incubator and had only four to hatch. Don't know what to do [​IMG]

4. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    If you allow chukar eggs to sit for about twelve days before you set them in the bator I bet you will have better luck. However I have had horibble luck with shipped eggs.

5. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    The thing I do with chukar eggs from ebay, since it so hot here; is I let them sit in the box for a couple hour in the garge since it's close to the temp in the mail truck. I then place in the incubator. I run 50% humity at 99.5f for 20 days then boost to 62% for finally days. Most hatch but a few don't make it.

6. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    Well I am so hard headed I just won't give up. I will try what you all said and maybe have better luck. Thank you![​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    if you can find local eggs they hatch so much better I just hatched 20 out of 22 eggs at lockdown there is a user here that goes by steelshot he shipped me some eggs I got a pretty good hatch for shipped eggs but we are fairly close only 1 state away

8. FLOrange00

FLOrange00 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Indiantown, Florida
    For what it's worth, I've gotten eggs off eBay and I've ordered eggs from Murray McMurray. Here's the hatch rate from Murray McM: 27/30 Valley Quail, 18/25 Melanistic Mutant Pheasant, 22/30 Chukar Partridge, 27/30 Gambel's Quail. The average hatch rate from the various eBayer Sellers was less than 50%...way less. Hope this provides some insight. GOOD LUCK!

9. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    All mailed eggs should be set in a cool dry place for at least 24 hours before putting them in the bator.I also would try to find someone local.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by