hatching confusion?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ki4got, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    I timed this wrong I think...

I've got rotating hatches going, of my SG Dorkings primarily, but got some quail eggs (coturnix) on a swap that were set on Dec 3... the dorkings are going into the hatcher tonight (Dec 14, day 18) but have been going long the last few hatches, 22-23 days mostly.

my hatcher is a Hovabator Picture window (1582), so I'm kinda limited on room. I'm wondering, first, when do I need to put the quail in the hatcher, and second, if they're likely to hatch together, do I need to seperate the quail from the chicks? what can I use?

I plan to brood them seperately, I'm just worried about in the hatcher. I do have a plastic basket with small grid on the sides but it's only 2.5" tall or so. I know the chicks can't climb out of it, but I've also heard that the quail chicks can jump?

still got a few days to go (i think) but want to plan ahead...

thanks

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    day 14 they can go in the hatcher, you really only need a plastic container for the quails, i would keep them separate from the chicks.

my brooder is a rubbermaid 45gal container thing...works great

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I wonder what the goose lady has to say here?

Anyhow!
    Not sure about the Dorkings, but coturnix tend to hatch at around 17-21 days. Mostly 17-20 days.

You may have to choose something.

4. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:ok thanks... I found a plastic basket that fits in the hatcher, I've already put the dorking eggs in it, and i'll just let the quail run around if the chicks haven't hatched yet...

not sure about geese, i've never had any and hubby doesn't like em... but dorkings are chickens, and have priority over everything else right now. trying to hatch everything i can so i have at least a few good ones to pick from for breeding.

at least the quail grow fast 8) i can start selecting for bigger birds much faster. these are an assorted mix of regular and jumbo, but i'll be breeding towards the jumbos mostly I think.

5. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    lol. in few days they will vault that barrier easily. Believe me, I had to chase them around the garage more than once. Especially Coturnix. I always keep a lid on it. As much to keep quail in, as rats out.

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:what do you use for a lid? i have 1/2" hardware cloth is the smallest thing, everything else is 1" or larger openings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by