1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by OPIE, Jan 29, 2009.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    I bout 25 cornish cross from Mcmurrey, I received them at the end of October and started processing them. I ordered all hens, but 1 Roo in the bunch. I was wondering about keeping him and a hen to try and hatch some chicks, what do ya think?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can try but you won't get more cornish cross like the parents that you have now. They don't breed true.

3. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    That doubt your will get a good turn out. They are a cross breed, so you wont get the same birds you bred. Also those girls wont lay that well, they are designed for meat. And one big meat roo for 25 hens will probably not result in high fertility rates. Do you just want to hatch chicks or are you looking to make meat birds, if you want to make meat birds in would breed a White rock to a white cornish.

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    It would be like this
    C=cornish
    R=Rock

Cross a cornish CC and rock RR results in cornish rock cross CR

R R
    C CR CR

C CR CR

Breed two cornish rock crosses CR+CR

C R
    C CC CR

R CR RR

You would end up with something like a white rock, a white cornish and 2 Cornish crosses

5. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Ok guys, thatnks for that info. I will put them in the line up for procesing.

6. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Sounds like a good plan, i think they are meant for processing, if you dont they can get some bad leg problems. Good choice they will eat you out of house and home too [​IMG]

7. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    what do you cross to get a cornish cross and where would get you these breeders?

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    You get the breeders from any of the hatcheries that have developed the line. Hubbard, Hybro, Avigen, or Cobb.... but be prepared to purchase a minimum of 10,000 breeders to make it worth their while.

The breeders consist of a cornish x rock crosss. But the cornish are so far from their original breed that it's not really fair to call them a crornish cross. It's more like a mutant rock on another mutant rock but that's genetics.

9. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    10,000 breeders man dats alot of chicks. my wife would think i am nuts for sure lol.

10. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She doesn't already? (sorry, I know I don't know you but I couldn't resist)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by