Hatching coturnix quail eggs in a Genesis 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmfrau, Jan 26, 2016.

1. farmfrau

farmfrau Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    My quail eggs are on day 11 in the Hova-bator. I'm wondering if when it's time to lock them down I should be putting them on paper towel. I've read that there feet are so small that they will go through the screen. Would appreciate any feedback. thanks.

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    I'm not sure about paper towels, but I've heard of people using shelf liner. It has smaller holes and it will keep their feet from slipping!

3. farmfrau

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks. That's a good idea. I was reading a thread on here where people are hatching them in the egg cartons. I may also give that a try with the shelf liner under the carton.

4. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    No problem! I think hatching in the egg carton with a shelf liner would be a good idea too [​IMG] I hope all goes well with the hatch!!

5. farmfrau

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks. These are shipped eggs. So far the chicken eggs that were shipped for the most part did not develop. I'm hoping I have better luck with these.

6. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Hopefully these ones will do better!

7. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    paper towels work better then shelf liner for quail, their nails tend to hang in the shelf liner.

8. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia
    Hmmm, I've used shelf liner many times on quail and had no issues.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  9. GAQuail

GAQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    Bishop, Georgia

I have hatched many quail in a 1588 on just the wire floor that comes with it and had no problems. You also don't want to cover up your water troughs and therefore lower your humidity during hatching.

10. farmfrau

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks GAQuail. I was wondering about the effects paper towel would have on humidty. I figured I might have to put a couple lids with water on top to keep it around 80%.

Do you float your eggs before locking them down? These were shipped and I'm sure they're not all viable but I can't see much candling them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by