Hatching Coturnix quail for the first time, need advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kat242, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Kat242

Kat242 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Hello i need some help, im on day 12 incubating Coturnix quail for the first time, from everything i have read it is normal for the temp in the bator to rise a few degrees right before they hatch and to turn down the temp. now my question is this what is the time frame of this happening as i said i am on day 12 and have 4-5 days before hatch day, I just had to turn the thermostat down when i haven't had to touch it since i plunged it in and got it going. are they trying to hatch early?

2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I don't think they are trying to hatch early. The temperature will go up before hatch, but you should do your best to keep it constant. My quail eggs were kept constant at 50-60% humidity for the first 14 days. Also, make sure that you have stopped turning the eggs (being that it is day 14) and you have slightly raised the humidity to prevent "sticky chicks". With that said, you should have a decent hatch rate.

3. Kat242

Kat242 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Alright, Thank you I was worried with it only being day 12 that it was to early for the eggs to raise the temp, it seems like everything i have read that shouldn't happen until a two or three days before hatch day. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by