hatching crisis

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by joydix, Jan 8, 2017.

1. joydix

joydix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    i got some mail order eggs and 4 out 15 were viable. all good. 3 went under hen on a friday...ALL 3 hatched on day 21 on a friday. one egg from a different batch went into incubator on the sunday night 2 days after the other batch. only 1 of 7 of those were viable so i ditched all but the one and put the 1 under the hen too thinking just 2 days behind would be fine....i expected it would hatch today which is a sunday but when i went out (major storm day today) the egg was abandoned and cold and mom was with the other 3 chicks out of nest box. i took the egg and candled and saw no signs of life..none. did over and over...then brought in the house and candled again but with flashlight..nothing i could see so put in plastic bag and cracked a bit to see when it quit but it was alive....just a small area of no shell some membrane...panic....put in between a warm towel and in a tent made of heat pad while incubator heated up...there is blood....but it keeps struggling to get out! it is day 21 for that chick so cant be too undeveloped....but the blood...it kicks and kicks..i took off membrane after 4 hours, more blood...i did very carefully and it was chirping...now 2 hours later and no better progress..humidity 52 temp 98-99.8 .....what to do???? let it go and if it makes it it makes it? assist more? i have never interfered before. i feel AWFUL. i should have just put it in incubator right away but i thought it was dead! it is still alive. advise!!!!!!! please!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If there is still bleeding in the membrane, very likely the yolk has not been completely absorbed. I would let it go until you no longer see bleeding from the membrane.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You may want to post this question in the 'Raising BackYard Chickens' forum - incubating and hatching eggs section (first section) Good luck.

4. joydix

joydix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    so not actively bleeding really...so a possibility it could sort of heal and it could still hatch out? shall i just let it go til morning then? will repost as suggested as well thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by