hatching crisis

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joydix, Jan 8, 2017.

1. joydix

joydix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    i got some mail order eggs and 4 out 15 were viable. all good. 3 went under hen on a friday...ALL 3 hatched on day 21 on a friday. one egg from a different batch went into incubator on the sunday night 2 days after the other batch. only 1 of 7 of those were viable so i ditched all but the one and put the 1 under the hen too thinking just 2 days behind would be fine....i expected it would hatch today which is a sunday but when i went out (major storm day today) the egg was abandoned and cold and mom was with the other 3 chicks out of nest box. i took the egg and candled and saw no signs of life..none. did over and over...then brought in the house and candled again but with flashlight..nothing i could see so put in plastic bag and cracked a bit to see when it quit but it was alive....just a small area of no shell some membrane...panic....put in between a warm towel and in a tent made of heat pad while incubator heated up...there is blood....but it keeps struggling to get out! it is day 21 for that chick so cant be too undeveloped....but the blood...it kicks and kicks..i took off membrane after 4 hours, more blood...i did very carefully and it was chirping...now 2 hours later and no better progress..humidity 52 temp 98-99.8 .....what to do???? let it go and if it makes it it makes it? assist more? i have never interfered before. i feel AWFUL. i should have just put it in incubator right away but i thought it was dead! it is still alive. advise!!!!!!! please!!!

2. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I'm hardly an expert, but since no one else has offered an opinion...

Speaking personally, just from what you've described, I would assist the chick in hatching. It's been six hours, you say? I've had chicks take more than 10 from when they first cracked the shell, BUT that was when they did it by themselves and most of it was just chilling out after making a tiny hole and before doing the rest of the work.

From what I understand, your chick has been fighting pretty hard to get out. It could be that it is turned in the wrong position and can't get out by itself. Also, if it is injured you need to get it out to give it medical attention, or to end its suffering. Either way, it sounds like it needs a rest.

So again, speaking personally I'd help it out. Don't give up on it if it's injured, they are amazingly resilient. Also, there's a possibility you have a special needs baby in there. Again, don't give up on it! I had a chick hatch missing a leg 3 weeks ago and she's hopping around fine.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! I'm going to bed, but I'll check first thing in the morning. I hope your baby makes it!

3. joydix

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    Thanks for replying. last night before bed i did help it out. i decided to because i could see the membrane was drying out at the edges which means it would stick...inside the membrane was kind of bloody....it was a trying experience but i did get it out, it was kind of a mess but once the membrane was peeled back it came out easily, all curled in a ball. i just put it in incubator and it was chirping....about 3am it had moved itself off the towel and sprawled out. this am upon close exam it looked pretty good (except i think it is a boy) but for one eye shut. i wet a cotton ball with warm water and it did open but did not stay open. i will check it again before i leave for work. thinking i would take it with me with a heating plate for chicks and put it in a box but now thinking it might be better to leave in incubator til i get home at 5. thought it might do better with some company (me) but maybe better to leave it alone and get stronger....what do you think???? it is a bielefelder (autosexing).

4. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Since it's so young, still using the last of the nutrients from the yolk, there's probably not much you can do either way. I guess this is a "do as I say not as I do" instance, because I'd probably take it...but then I don't think you can care for it better at work than it will be in the incubator, and you'll probably be more stressed having it there! I'd leave it, but it's up to you. Glad to hear it's doing ok so far. :)

5. joydix

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    i did take it..i just thought it was chirping a lot and would be better off with some contact with something living AND later in day i would take it out and help it stand and not walk on its elbows...to make it stronger...kept an eye on its eyes. i did give a few dips into some water, just the tiniest bit. it seemed to like the attention and by end of day was really standing taller and getting around in the box with heat lamp so i came home and tucked under mom with the other 3. now it is up to nature. she is a silkie so a good mom even tho first time. VERY attentive. it should get stronger under her all night. i will get up early to check when they are moving about. i think it might be a girl now that the feathers are fluffed up and not matted in places. what an ordeal! thanks for all your feedback.joy

6. chippy99th

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Wow, that is AWESOME! So glad to hear the baby's doing well. Glad to hear all your littles are doing great. :)

7. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Glad to hear all worked out and u have a healthy baby!

8. joydix

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    thanks and thanks for your input ....it is still to wobbly to be out for the day when i am not around....taking with me again today and feeding diluted chick start with a little poly vi sol mixed..just a bit....if it could just be a little stronger i think it will be fine. this am mom was trying to get the others to peck and eat but this one could not keep up, loud chirps of distress, it was cold and wanted to be under her and she wanted to be up for the others. i will build her up and then put her under hen each night for sure so they will know her/him......

9. joydix

Mar 20, 2015
    West Sonoma County
    Hi...an update......after day of hatch and the following day of extra TLC, vitamins etc but both night sleeping with the mom and 3 others this baby girl is 100% with the rest, running, eating and FIRST to learn the nipple waterer i got for chicks from Preimiere1 poultry supply's. Harrowing experience! and so excited. The other good news is that altho only 4 hatched from 15 mail order eggs they are ALL girls...what are the odds!! good results and lesson learned here! just should have popped in incubator to be on safe side and never have messed with the egg....probably would have hatched on its own that night or next day. i also might NOT give in to my silkies when they go broody IN WINTER! its just that they are so small and they don't give up. always afraid they will get to thin and be unhealthy in the winter if i don't. i tried breaking her of it 3 times and she would quit and then go broody another week down the line...

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

WOW.....That is an awesome hatching story.....lol....

Glad it worked out........

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by