1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching Dates Issue

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by championny, Apr 17, 2008.

1. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    So, it is my first time incubating and I have three mixed hatchings in the same incubator and I am a bit worried. (It was lack of knowledge on my part)

My Delawares are set to hatch Monday/Tuesday so I stop turning Saturday, but my Welsummers and Toulouse are set to the first of April. I am alright with the Toulouse and Welsummers because they are only a day within each other but I am afraid about the humidity needed for the Delawares as I heard that can hurt the others. Has anyone had any issues with this before? I hate to buy a $50 incubator for just one use, but I don't want to hurt my others.

I was going to place the Delawares in an egg carton so not to disturb the others, and the Delaware eggs feel silky and the others don't so I am taking that as a good sign they shouldn't have trouble pipping.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Have you candled to see if all of the eggs are developing? Geese are the hardest eggs I have ever hatched. They need different conditions in comparison to the chicken eggs. Of all the waterfowl they are the hardest to get a good hatch from. They have to be cooled down for 15 to 30 minutes and sprayed with water daily. Opening the incubator to do this will compromise your chicken eggs.

Chickens need a lower humidity in the beginning so raising it in the end will be good for the gooose eggs if they make it that far but bad for the oterh chicken eggs.

The best I can suggest is hope for the best and prepare for the worst because it isn't a good situation for any of the eggs to be honest.

If the eggs are valuable a second bator to use as a hatcher is the best idea I can offer.

3. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Perhaps I could try to make one as I found a few sites that show how to do it. I really don't want to compromise any of them. I will let you know how this works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by