Hatching, Day 21--temperature increase concern

DuckMamaNH

Chirping
Oct 28, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi all!
I am hatching 1 Call, 2 Australian Spotted, and 4 Welsh Harlequins. This is my second time hatching. The first time was 2 years ago, and it was a good hatch rate.
I'm nervous this time though because of the smaller breeds, and now being at Day 21, I know that these little babies will be going into lockdown soon. I'm using the same incubator, a Cleo 5 (Romanian brand). Since the last hatch, the built-in thermometer's batteries died, so I'm using 2 different thermometers with hygrometers instead. They are pretty much in sync with each other--except for today. Today our temps rose to the 80's outside, and the temp in the house also rose to the high 70s. I live in NH where we just had a snowstorm 2 weeks ago, so this is an extreme temp fluctuation. The bator is in my office, a room in the back of the house that does not get direct sunlight. In any case, the Farenheit reading on one of the thermometers is reading at +-101.5, and I'm panicking since it always reads right around 99.5. When I switch it to Celcius, it's at +-38.5, which doesn't seem terribly off. The manual says that the thermostat is set for +-38 C, so this seems about right. Maybe I am hung up on the Farenheit conversion, but 2 whole degrees higher, especially towards the end of the incubation (for the littles) worries me. I'm not sure if I should be calibrating the thermostat. I've tried a couple of things (turning the small screw on the trimpot clockwise) but didn't see any changes in temp when I did this--and in any case, I afraid to mess with the factor settings if I don't have to (and the manual is no help in regards to changing the temp)
For those who have hatched more than one time, and especially those who have hatched small breeds such as Calls and Australian Spotteds, please help me determine if the temperature is correct or if I should be working to get it down. In regards to humidity, I've been keeping it between 40-60%. I also spritz & cool the eggs daily.
Thank you in advance!

Update--I moved the incubator to the same spot in my bedroom that I hatched last time (cleared out bookcase), and also bought new batteries for the built in thermometer/hygrometer (which only reads in Celcius). So I now have 3 thermometers in there! I'm just going to go by the Celcius temp, which is what I did last time, and (try to) not freak out over that one thermometer that goes up to 102 Farenheit.
The only thing I can guess about the increase in temp change on that one thermometer is 1) it's gone faulty 2) the eggs themselves are putting off more heat now that the ducklings are increasing in size & age.

Any other input or thoughts would be appreciated!
:)

Back
Top Bottom