Hatching Day and I am very worried!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Z3Z4Baby, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Z3Z4Baby

Z3Z4Baby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    This is our first time incubating eggs. We have a mixture that I had shipped to me of D'Uccle, Serama and Silkie eggs. 18 of the 20 eggs made it safely here and when I candled last week, I saw movement in 10 of the 18. If I go by the 21 day, 3 hour time that I read, it would be a hatching time of 6:37 tonight. I hear nothing and see nothing, not even a movement from the eggs. Am I just being a paranoid first-timer?

2. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:my first hatch didn't start anything till day22 and day 23 so no worries yet [​IMG] i now have brooder full of very busy babies and my second hatch just started pipping!!!! Keep us posted!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hopefully you are only being paranoid, though it is hard not to be worried your first time.

Many different things can cause eggs to hatch early or late. The one we always think of is incubating temperature. If the average incubating temperature is a bit warm, they will probably hatch early. If it is a bit cool, they can be late. I've had them hatch two days early due to my incubator running a little warm. Your temperature may be a bit low.

Some of the other things I know of that can influence them is humidity while incubating, heredity, how they are stored before incubating, and size. Smaller eggs tend to hatch a bit early, larger eggs a bit late.

Good luck!

4. Z3Z4Baby

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you all so much! I have been paranoid about the humidity so I hope I have not kept it too high. Then the past few days, I have had a hard time keeping the temp at 99. It was 99.5-100.0 until I took them off the turner on Monday. At that point, I had a hard time keeping the temp up. It has been 98.5 to 99.0 since then. I made sure that yesterday I added water and put in two sponges. I am very scared I have done something wrong and I dont know whether to candle again this late or not. Do you think I should? So you think I should be seeing any movement?

5. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    just breathe, and walk away from the incubator. they'll come out when they're ready.

6. Z3Z4Baby

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you latebloomer [​IMG] I am about to give myself a headache STARING through those two little windows! lol

7. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:is your bator forced air or still air. Really those diff in temp and humidity really isn't all tht much i agree with latebloomer take a deep breath hun these lil ones will be here before you know it!!

8. Z3Z4Baby

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you Chickiebabyfluff! It is a still air one. I borrowed if from my friend to incubate these eggs. I have been obsessive about checking on them several times a day! lol

9. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:this is my second hatch and i can't see a thing from the nose prints on my bator windows lol your temps and humidity are fine i have a still air and was told temp 99.5-100 and humidity 60-70 is good so no worries!!! This is my second hatch and got my first pip this afternoon and ima wreck and excited all at the same time called my hubby and anounced WE'RE HAVING A BABY!!!! [​IMG] I am even more excited this time around then the first time. Gotta love having BYC tho sure makes things alot easier!!! When its your first hatch!!! [​IMG]

10. Z3Z4Baby

Jun 3, 2011
    Chicken Whisperer told me I could go ahead and candle and I did. I saw movement, went back a little while later and two that we have marked as NOT viable have cracked their little shells. We are starting to hear peeping!!!!!! At least I know I have 3 so far! I am SO relieved! I am sure this is going to be a sleepless night for me and my daughter! (and probably all of our friends that are wanting to come watch too!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by