hatching day and nothing happened

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlered, Aug 5, 2010.

1. littlered

littlered Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    montpiler
    i have a few eggs in the incubator i have been candleing them every since day three i stoped turning them on day 18 i candeled them today (day21) and i can see the bubble in the top and the dark figure curled up in the middle everything looked right the whole time but i dont hear anything from them i dont see any movment or effort to hsthch what should i do leave them for another day or throw them out

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    LEAVE THEM!!! Don't even consider throwing them out until at least day 24--they may be a little late due to slightly low temp or something. Sounds like you're doing everything right so try to wait a little longer! Good luck! : )

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    If you keep moving them you will disturb the hatching process and the humidity levels you need for them to hatch. Honestly be patient!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have two chicks hatched 6 and 7 days after all the others ( THAT WAS DAY 27 and DAY 28!!!!!!!!!!) and they are now 8 weeks old and really fine!!!!!!!!! Though we did have to intervine and help them hatch they are great now. But we mucked up the humidity and 5 died through what is called shrink wrap were the membraine dries out round the chick and it can;t move to get out of the egg! So please be very patient!! They may be a day or two more before you get a start in the hatching process.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    None of mine out of the 5 hatches I done this year ever really hatched on the day scheduled -- at best, they would pip towards the end of the day, and most would hatch over the next 24 to 48 hours.

I'm not really sure about how accurate some of this is -- I think it is under ideal conditions. For example, button quail are listed as "16 days" in nature, but I just finished with a hatch yesterday, the last 2 came out, and it was day 22.

5. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Littlered, don't open that bator back up til day 25, and that will be to take out chicks that hatch and clean your bator out. I repeat, don't open it back up checking them after day 18, ok?? If you do, you lower their chances of being able to hatch successfully. Typical hatch-day begins around day 21 but can go up to day 24. I know is hard sitting by waiting, but that's really all we can do. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Don't open the bator during the lock down period. Your humidity falls drastically and this will affect your hatch rate.

Be patient, wait a few more days. You're not always going to get hatching right on day 21. If they candled well on day 18, just wait until day 24 or 25 before opening the bator to check again.

Did you increase the humidity at the start of the lock down?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by