hatching diaries - cochin crazy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by slackwater, Jul 26, 2010.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Okay, for the sake of sharing my hatching stories w/newbies and to keep myself on target...I plan to update the thread as I have new developments (and eventual pictures!)

I bought a new Hovabator Genesis w/a turner. This will be my new "main" incubator, with my Brinsea Octagon Eco as backup for when I order too many eggs [​IMG]

Anyway, join me in my journey! I promise to have some good pics of fluffy butts in the end [​IMG]

BLUE COCHINS:

July 16 - I received 12 blue cochin eggs (e-bay auction). All came intact, several may have had problematic air cells (I'm not good at figuring this out).

July 17 - I set all 12 blue cochin eggs in the Hovabator, which had already maintained a constant temp for 3+ days. Center water well is fully filled. The "due date" for these eggs is August 7.

July 26 - Candled today (day 9) - 2 clears, 3 quitters (all removed). I *think* the rest are still a go.

GOLD LACED COCHINS:

July 22 - I received 12 GL cochin eggs (e-bay auction) and 8 GL cochin eggs (BYC-er). All came intact. I didn't candle for air cells (not very good at it anyway).

July 23 - I set all 20 GL cochin eggs in the Hovabator. The "due date" for these eggs is August 13.

2. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Okay, so here's my update (for all of my imaginary followers):

BLUE COCHINS

Of those due to hatch 8/7 - candled 8/2. 6 alive & kicking, 1 quitter. Removed the quitter. Will put those into lockdown on Thursday.

Rec'd another batch from a fellow BYC-er on 7/28. Let them sit overnight, set into the 'bator 7/29. Those are due to hatch 8/19.

GOLD LACED COCHINS

Of those due to hatch 8/13 - candled 8/2. Of the 8 from the BYC-er, 2 were clears, 1 quitter. Removed all three; remaining 5 looked great! Of the 12 from the e-Bayer, 1 was clear, 4 quitters (and one of those had quit with STYLE - my first ROTTEN egg!). Removed all five; the remaining 7 looked great!

MISC

Set 3 BBS Am and 3 olive eggers on 7/29, due 8/13.
    Set 7 BLRW on 8/2, due 8/23.

CURRENT HATCH HOPES (this assumes no more quitters or clears, even on freshly set eggs)

8/7 - 6 blue cochins
    8/13 - 12 gold laced cochins
    8/19 - 6 blue cochins, 3 BBS Ams, 3 olive eggers
    8/23 - 7 BLRW

I will have mastered staggered hatching by the time this is all done!!! I'm just waiting for the first set to hatch so that I have more room in the 'bator to set again!!

3. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    I hope your paln stays on track, and you have a LARGE succesful hatch.[​IMG]

4. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    BLUE COCHINS

Set the first six in lock down on Thurs, 8/5. As of Saturday, 8/7, three have hatched. Will remove those tomorrow from the bator tomorrow and candle the stragglers to see if they have survived. All three are either a light blue or splashes. Need to upload pics!!!

Of those due to hatch 8/19 - candled 8/7 (day nine). Two clears (removed), the remaining four look good.

GOLD LACED COCHINS

Of those due to hatch 8/13 - candled 8/7. All 12 looked good!

MISC

Of the BBS Ams and olive eggers due 8/13 - candled 8/7. One OE quitter, one OE clear & one Am clear. Removed those all. Other three look good (as far as I can tell in the darker eggs).

Sat 8/7 - set eggs rec'd 8/5 = 4 BLRW, 5 frizzle cochins, 1 BCM, 4 BBS Marans and 4 olive eggers. Hatch date 8/28.

LOL - I'm having a hard time keeping track, even while I'm recording it all here! I hope I've counted everyone! Gotta start posting pics of the first hatch! Only 3 more days until the next set goes into lockdown!

5. slackwater

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    BLUE COCHINS

First hatch stats:

12 eggs set, due 8/7 - 2 clears, 4 early quitters, 3 late quitters, 3 hatched - HATCH RATE 25-30% (depending on whether you count the clears)

Still waiting on 4 due to hatch 8/19 (will go into lock down Monday, 8/16)

GOLD LACED COCHINS

Of those due to hatch 8/13 - into lock down Wednesday, 8/11. Removed one (late quitter). Total remaining = 11.

MISC

Still due to hatch:

8/19 - 2 BBS Ams, 1 OE

8/23 - 2 (or 3) BLRW (bad hatch expected - poor shipping practices on part of seller)

8/28 - 4 BLRW, 5 frizzle cochins, 1 BCM, 4 BBS Marans and 4 olive eggers

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by