Hatching different species under one broody hen?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by poultry bro, Feb 29, 2016.

1. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    Hey everybody I have an interesting question is it possible to hatch multiple species of poultry under the same broody hen? for example a chicken hen goes broody i put duck eggs under her and after a week put chicken eggs under her and they hatch at the same time has anybody tried this is it possible and what are the outcomes?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've never tried it, but the way you propose might very well work.

3. tbared

tbared New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    It will work fine with the exception if you use different feeds for the ducks vs chicken. They will eventually go to water on their own as well. Chickens are neither racist nor breedist if thats a word. I do it with my hens every season. I have a a Silke who has taken it upon herself to brood everyone's eggs whether they like it or not so i go with it.

4. poultry bro

Oct 4, 2014
    that sounds great i feed every bird i own flock raiser pretty much and i was interested weather or not the hen would abandon the ducklings and just raise the chicks because she might think they are defective

5. TheHoranFarm

TheHoranFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I have done this before, and yes. It is possible. although you can't hatch as many ducks under one chicken because the eggs are bigger.

6. poultry bro

Oct 4, 2014
    yes i figured that but it was just a thought i also wondering how long my broody hen will go for shes been on 4 duck eggs for a almost 4 weeks and shes a bantam im wondering wether they will hatch or not cuz if they dont i wanna try putting some quail eggs under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by