Hatching Dilemma.....How should I handle???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, May 27, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 6 mix eggs in the hatcher, today is Day 20.
    My Golden Phoenix eggs will be Day 18 on Thursday, so should I quickly move the Phoenix eggs and hope for the best or if the mix eggs still haven't hatched should I just let them go?
    I know this is my fault for getting carried away and putting so many eggs in the bator.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Do you have another bator/hatcher? I know its even later now - you might have chicks hatching, I'd remove those eggs that still have a few days to go and put them in another warmed up ready to go bator if you have it.

3. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Songster

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    If you use the dry incubation method there really is no need to worry about staggered hatches. i have no problems that way.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have two bators, one is a still air and used as a hatcher.
    I think it worked itself out as the last two are about hatched. Today is Day 21 and the other 4 eggs I am confident won't hatch. No movement at all and I quickly candled yesterday and no movement from them.
    I hope slowpoke hurries up and pops out , he is zipped and pushing just not all the way out. This would mean I would be able to move those 2 to a brooder in the morning and give the hatcher all day tomorrow to get back up in temp and humidity.
    Luckily none of these chicks made a huge mess, so I think a good wipe with some anti bacterial wipes new non slip stuff a little water and we should be good.

5. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Don't give up on those no movers too soon. Some don't move at least you don't catch them moving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: