1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatching dilemma...what would you do?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Aug 21, 2011.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    So it is not unknown that I rarely hatch eggs from my Button Quail. The reason for this is because they have very specialized care needs and they are mainly just pets. Most people in my area are not looking for 'just' pets, but there are some I'm sure that would be interested. The biggest problem I have is the care they require.

So I've been thinking of hatching some for the 'big' auction we have coming up in October, but I'm a bit on the fence about it. I was thinking of printing a 'care sheet' for them, probably copying the sticky I wrote and some other info off here. But I'm still not sure if I want to hatch them.

So what would you do? Would you be comfortable selling birds with very specialized care needs as long as you included a care sheet? Or would you just continue to let the 'locals' go without these neat little birds?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    That is a fair question. I dunno I see them as a pet bird as well. However i just decided to get a few eggs as my boy asked for a pet for his room. I suppose they would do no worse than anyother animal bought at auction, you have no more or no less security that the buyer knows what they'll be doing. Make a care sheet, and offer it with the birds.

And where is the button quail sticky? I should take a read thru and see if there's anything I can glean from it. Nevermind love, found it on my own https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=424352

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    agreed [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I usually send off information similar to the sticky I wrote (funny we have two stickies LOL) and contact information. People who buy my birds have aviaries but it is Florida after all. I do not sell individuals unless I have extras, I do not sell trios, quads...strictly pairs. People do ask for trios and then don't call back when I grill them. I work hard on these birds and I know you do too so they should go to homes in which they will be cared for responsibly.

5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    definitely print off a care sheet, it will be a great way to get more people into caring properly for the buttons they buy, many people just don't know better!

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Mine is like the 'crash course' [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awhile back I hatched out some baby buttons and sold them to a petstore two hrs away. I typed up a care sheet and gave them SEVERAL copies...I emailed them a few days after I sold them and they said they'd all died. In the care sheet(s) I gave them I clearly said they need "HEAT" ...but did they listen...Nope..all they did was give them light... [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also sold them 3, three-four wk old button males and they sold them all within the week. I would hatch the babies out a couple weeks before your swap, that way they don't have to have a light. [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

8. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Awhile back I hatched out some baby buttons and sold them to a petstore two hrs away. I typed up a care sheet and gave them SEVERAL copies...I emailed them a few days after I sold them and they said they'd all died. In the care sheet(s) I gave them I clearly said they need "HEAT" ...but did they listen...Nope..all they did was give them light... [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also sold them 3, three-four wk old button males and they sold them all within the week. I would hatch the babies out a couple weeks before your swap, that way they don't have to have a light. [​IMG]

~ Aspen [​IMG]

You would think a pet store would listen to someone with the knowledge of how to look after them [​IMG] That must have been very frustrating for you to have bred them and put the effort into giving them the care sheets so they would take proper care of them, only to have them ignore your advice [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, I never sell baby buttons when I do sell them locally. I always wait until they are at least 5-6 weeks old. If I hatched some for this auction (set them in the next few days), they'd be about 7-8 weeks old when the auction got here. So I've got a few weeks to decide.

I think I'll try to see if I can find a pet store to sell them to, but I haven't had much luck with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by