Hatching Dirty Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AriadneCastro, Jan 13, 2017.

1. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Last night one of the eggs in my broody's nest broke... The hen, apparently, ate most of it but, still, some of the other eggs became full of yolk. Plus, it's been raining and her muddy feet went all over them. Is it ok just to leave them like this or should I try to clean them up somehow?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    If you can wipe them off without hurting them or getting them wet, try it. But be careful. How far along are they?

3. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Thank you for your reply!!
    It's only the fourth day of incubation...
    And that dry yolk is sticking to the eggs like cement. I'm not getting it off without water, and *that* just doesn't seem right to me...

4. moving coops

moving coops Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Those little kind of rougher than regular micro fibre clothes used for scribing work. They are still micro fibre and plastic but rougher than a regular dish cloth. Norex makes a cloth style like this for cleaning fruit and veggies but lots of generic companies makes little square scrubbers like this. They can even be washed in the washing machine!

5. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    I have hatched dirty eggs with success. I have also gently washed dirty eggs with lukewarm water and they hatched just fine. If the egg broke from the hen and not from being rotten I think the remaining eggs would be fine [​IMG] I would just keep watch around hatch day to make sure they are pipping in an area not covered by yolk.

1 person likes this.
  6. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    I guess that, in nature, mud and yolk are often on birds eggs... I just needed to read some experienced opinions! Thank you very much for your replies! [​IMG]

7. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Just to give you the news: in the end, I left the eggs as they were but *somehow* my girl cleaned them up herself! She's at her 16th day of incubation, so I've decided to check the nest... To my amazement, the eggs are almost sparkling!

Here she is, my cute Lucrezia, puffed up like an alien pancake! lol...

[​IMG]

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    That's good! Let us know when they hatch!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Huh, how bout that!

10. AriadneCastro

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    They are hatching *right now* !!!!! [​IMG]We have 2 new babies!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Mom is eating the empty shells... guess she can use the calcium, huh?

I'm feeling ECSTATIC....!!!!

More news as soon as I have them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by