Hatching double yolk duck eggs??

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
Since all of the duck eggs we put in our new incubator were fertile and are still growing after 14 days, my daughter decided to add a couple of double yolk eggs too to see if they would grow. We candled them today at day 3 or 4 and they both had two embryos in them. Will these grow like this? Can they hatch together? Has anyone done this before? We're really curious to watch them growing but I hate to have them develop and then not hatch because they don't have room.

Double yolk eggs can hatch, although I think it is uncommon. They might need help hatching as well. I know there was a youtube vid of someone helping twin chickens hatch.

99% of the time one or both die sometime during incubation. Sometimes one will hatch, but that isnt very often. Best to pull them now and pitch them so they dont happen to go bad and become a stink bomb compromising the entire hatch.

Thanks for the info. Anyone know why they can't hatch or don't hatch most of the time? Do they just run out of room or do they drown or what? The eggshell certainly looks double the size of the regular ones so I'm thinking it's not eggshell size that matters but rather availability of air sack maybe?

I had a double yolker in the bator a few years ago. The egg was in the spare room with other eggs- I wasnt intending to set it - and after about 2 weeks I picked up the egg meaning to toss it- but on a whim put it in. After 2 weeks- I didnt think it would even start developing. It did- and the ducklings survived until they were ready to hact. The " behind " one was ok- it was the front one closer to the air cell that died first. it had its head down and was never going top be able to pip the egg from that position.

It was a good experience despite the sad outcome. As long as you know what the most likely outcome will be..and you can handle knowing that they will most likely not make it... then you may as well keep going . Some people will say its wrong- but they are your eggs- your decision.

Back
Top Bottom