Hatching duck & chicken eggs together under a broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Has anyone ever tried this with success? Will the chicks/ducklings get along?
    Will the hen require therapy afterwards? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've used broodies to hatch out duck & chicken eggs, but never both at the same time. I was just curious if it would work. I usually set the eggs under the hen after dark. If I count that night as "Day 1" and set the duck eggs then, on which night should I add the chicken eggs in order to get them all to hatch on the same day?

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

in my country, people join the duck egg together with chicken egg when they found out their hen is broody.

and since we in BYC know the duck take 28 when chicken 21, it's better to give the duck egg first and pull out the chicken egg, and after 1 week, insert the chicken egg under her at night (as you did) and then count it same. so start from it it will take full 21 days to hatch them both and they will hatch at almost same time.

in here, no therapy at all [​IMG]

again at here, the momma chicken even *don't* realize she hatch duck, people let the hen raise till one week then take the duck out before the mom peck him. [​IMG]

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I thank you, Mulia24, for your reply from halfway around the world! That's about what I thought I should do, and would happen, but I wanted to hear from others who had already tried doing this. I think I'll do this the next time I get a broody hen.

There was a little hen who made a nest in a tight little place between the duck house and the wire fence. I knew her chicks were almost ready to hatch, and wanted to move them to a safer place. Tonight we reached in to move the hen & her eggs and the chicks are already peeping & pipping! We look forward to seeing brand-new baby chicks in the morning (evening in Indonesia).

And I'm sorry I don't know much about the Battle of Little Big Horn, but I'll see if I can direct you to some helpful information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by