Hatching duck cracked egg but yolk isn't absorbed

Lochloosachicks

Songster
Jul 2, 2017
A first grade class at my school is hatching duck eggs. I've hatched chicks before, but don't have experience with ducks. The other 3 hatched 3 days ago. It's on day 31. There was movement in the egg so they cracked into the air cell area to assist. One other needed assistance and this one already had a crack in it. This was 24 hours ago. The membrane does not appear to be drying enough to hatch but it is sucked in. What can we do to help??

The dark area in the membrane is bc they put Vaseline on a small area that was bleeding yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 25
I really have no idea what it is.

That's an issue then. Because if it is a muscovy, then it's not due for four more days. If it's a cross, it's not due until day 32, which is tomorrow. Meaning that the egg has been opened way too soon, and any attempt to help it is likely to instead kill it.

But if it's not a cross or a muscovy, then it's late and might need help. and not helping it could lead to it dying.

I think for now, moisten the membrane, we'll try to determine if it's malpositioned, and then go from there. Is there any way you can find out what it is? Contact the person you got it from and see if they have muscovies?

I think it may die if we don't intervene. Breathing is not as strong. I'm worried about him bleeding out. Any advice to prevent that. I cannot see his beak.

Is that the yolk up against the air cell? If so, he is probably in the other end of the egg, which means you're going to want to find the beak if possible by assessing his position based on what you're seeing, and make a hole over it.

I don't see any kind of internal or external pip, but you said it broke the shell? Did it pip on the wrong end of the egg not visible in this picture?

I ask because this actually looks like a DIS (dead in shell) to me from this picture. Do you see the duckling moving under the membrane? If it was alive you would clearly see movement.

Back
Top Bottom